Okay. I can try. The key for me was to realize that the spring loaded, curved arm/hinge (one on each side of the underside of the cover) actually interacts with the pins. So, I also had one side in to start. To get the other side, I believe I just needed to press the side button and move that hinge in to the position that it would be in if the cover was open. I think.
Try holding in the side button and moving the hinge into one position and see if the pins are now held "out of the way". If not, try holding in the side button and moving the hinge in the other direction. One or the other of these should cause the pins to be held all the way out of the way (retracted).
I believe that I did this as the cover was all the way open, and when I started to lower the cover down the hinge wanted to move and the pins came back out. So I had to do it again and this time had to hold it in position until the lid was all the way closed.
gosh, it all happened so fast, I'm not sure I remember all of it correctly.
Hope this helps.
Also, my theory as to why it got messed up in the first place is that either both buttons were pressed at the same time and the cover was lifted, or one of them was only partially pressed and the cover was somehow forced open. (It happened as two of us were trying to figure out how to open the arm-rest, since the vehicle was new to both of us). It seems that if we press the buttons firmly and with a crispness every time before trying to lift it, it doesn't have any issues.