Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230 2002 Secondary Air Injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Default C230 2002 Secondary Air Injection

Hi

I have a 2002 C230 Kompressor and the check engine light went on. My mechanic (not from the dealership) said it's the secondary air injection system. He said this is part of the emissions system and that the entire system would have to be replaced. This means the supercharger. He said that in my car, it's necessary to replace the entire system since it is one unit.

He reccomended I go to the dealership since I have <80,000 miles and it should be covered under the emissions warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with the secondary air injection system having problems in the 2002 C230? Is it true that the entire system would have to be replaced? I want to go into the dealership with some ammunition, not having any experience with this type of problem.

My mechanic does only MB cars and is very honest, thus trying to save me money by getting this done under the warranty.

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Paul

Old 12-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Default RE: C230 2002 Secondary Air Injection

I had this code in my c230 coupe the problem turn out to be the type fuel I was using I updated to 98octane shell vpower and the problem desapeard, I read in another post that you my solve this problem by draining air from the fuel line and then use injector cleaner. I will recomend you to change your gas and check your fuel cap. your mecanic is wrong if your superchar is the problem you will get codes related to turbo and air intake

Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 AM

{Edit} Woops. Sorry. The post was supposed to go to another thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Paul you need to replace your secondary air injection relay. there was a problem with these relays in all benz models. locate the relay with your fuse chart and throw a new one in...they cost less then $20 bucks..let me know if you have any Q's

Old 01-18-2007, 05:49 PM

hey saleen now if you replace the relay does the check engine light go out?
because this issue has just happened with my car and i went to benz and they told me its an annoying problem. that it can be a vacum hose etc. but has nothing to do with the supercharger.
BUT it can fail inspection. any info would be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: mbgt

I had this code in my c230 coupe the problem turn out to be the type fuel I was using I updated to 98octane shell vpower and the problem desapeard, I read in another post that you my solve this problem by draining air from the fuel line and then use injector cleaner. I will recomend you to change your gas and check your fuel cap. your mecanic is wrong if your superchar is the problem you will get codes related to turbo and air intake
Where did you find 98 octane? The highest I've seen around where I live is 93 octane (Premium).

Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 PM

i live in central america shell sells Vpower formula with 98 octane

Old 01-23-2007, 01:37 AM

the secondary air injection on this model works off the super charger and 2 throttle actuators which will dirvert superchargedair from the intakemanifold to the exhaust by way of a dirverter valve ( that silver round thing just behind the top throttle actuator with a single vacc hose on top inbetween 2 hoses )which helps speed the warm up of the cats and o2 sensor to go into closed loop as fast as possible.the engine computer (ME) controls this function by inputs of the coolant sensor. the problem i've seen with the m111 engine (supercharged in line 4) is the dirverter valve gets jammed with carbon, not enough vacc supplied to open the valve , or the throttle actuator goes out of wack or looses its position (may need to be relearned ) on start up the ME sends signal out for 2nd air inj. and needs to see the o2 ossilation in a specific time frame or it sets a check engine light. i had 2 car that all i did was pour barrymens b12 (can buy fuel injection cleaner at any auto store ) alitle at a time on the intake side of air dirverter valve to try and unstick , relearned the throttle angle (done at dealer with HHT,SDS) and the sys worked fine but the shot gun repair of replace everything will be way eexpensive , start simple and cheep first !!! when in doubt take to a dealer

Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM

I have had the p0410 error for sometime now. I have changed the check valve and diverter valve as well as examining the hoses for leaks but I can't seem to get rid of this error. If it is the secondary air injection relay does one exist for the 2002 c230 kompressor coupe? I can't seem to find it labelled on the fuse chart. Can someone point it out or does it go by a different name. I looked at the fuse chart available in the forum but cannot find it. If you have a part number that would be great as well.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM

do you have a picture of the dirverter valve you are talking about. I would like to take a look at it to see if it is plugged.
If my car has a supercharger than it doesn't have an air pump.
I have read all these postings and the secondary air injection system calls for replacing
the air pump, relay and valves. Nobody seems to know where these things are located in the car. I have a 2002 C230 Kompressor. Can you help me out here so I won't have
to take it to the dealer and get ripped off.
I appreciate you help
CGM1943

Quick Reply: C230 2002 Secondary Air Injection