Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Battery/Alternator Warning Light Problem

Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Default Battery/Alternator Warning Light Problem

I have a W203 (US 2003 C230 Kompressor) with 96,000 miles. When starting the car in cool/cold weather (50 degrees F or less) the "Battery/Alternator Visit Workshop" light will come on. Thinking that my battery needed to be replaced anyway, I went ahead and did so. The light still comes, but only when the temperature is about 50 or less. If I turn off the engine and wait (anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 mins) and then restart, no warning light. Leave the car (again in the cool weather for 8, 9, 10 hours or more and I'll get the light again. My mechanic has checked the battery and alternator. Everything seems to check out fine. Mechanics at my job have also checked it.

The alternator is a Valeo, not a Bosch. I've seen similar posts but there's no definitive solution. Obviously I don't want to replace the alternator if that's not the actual problem. Could this be the voltage regulator?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by GregInJrsy
I have a W203 (US 2003 C230 Kompressor) with 96,000 miles. When starting the car in cool/cold weather (50 degrees F or less) the "Battery/Alternator Visit Workshop" light will come on. Thinking that my battery needed to be replaced anyway, I went ahead and did so. The light still comes, but only when the temperature is about 50 or less. If I turn off the engine and wait (anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 mins) and then restart, no warning light. Leave the car (again in the cool weather for 8, 9, 10 hours or more and I'll get the light again. My mechanic has checked the battery and alternator. Everything seems to check out fine. Mechanics at my job have also checked it.

The alternator is a Valeo, not a Bosch. I've seen similar posts but there's no definitive solution. Obviously I don't want to replace the alternator if that's not the actual problem. Could this be the voltage regulator?
im having the same problem with my 2004 c230 . were do you stand now

Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Kirbo: Since posting this, my car has developed other problems which are currently being addressed. However the thinking is that the alternator's clutch has failed. I'm told the clutch cannot be replaced and requires replacement of the alternator. If the car survives the other issue(s) I'll let you know.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM

I have written post about this already on here. IT IS YOUR VOLTAGE REGULATOR! I KNOW 100%

DON'T CHANGE YOUR ALTERNATOR, JUST BUY THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR FOR THE ALTERNATOR. IT IS A REALLY SMALL PIECE ON THE BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi all - new to the board but I'm having this same problem on my 04 230 and wondered if another problem I am having could be related.

When I start the car, all is fine. Then seconds into it runnong, the dome light, radio, and dash lights go out and come right back on and sort of seem to do a check of all the safety stuff such as airbags, brakes, etc... and then car is good to go. Then after driving for say 30 seconds or so, the battery/altenator light comes on.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Post reply to NYC230K

Originally Posted by nyc230k
hi all - new to the board but i'm having this same problem on my 04 230 and wondered if another problem i am having could be related.

When i start the car, all is fine. Then seconds into it runnong, the dome light, radio, and dash lights go out and come right back on and sort of seem to do a check of all the safety stuff such as airbags, brakes, etc... And then car is good to go. Then after driving for say 30 seconds or so, the battery/altenator light comes on.
my voltage regulator was replaced . All seemed to be ok . I recently traded the vehicle in for a new honda . The car began to cost a lot of money after 7yr . And the new ones are make to cheap for $ 40,000

Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by kirbo
my voltage regulator was replaced . All seemed to be ok . I recently traded the vehicle in for a new honda . The car began to cost a lot of money after 7yr . And the new ones are make to cheap for $ 40,000
good luck

Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Its the Voltage regulator causing all the electrical problems. It does it in cold weather. I replaced mine 2yrs ago now and haven't had the problem since. All the warning you are getting was caused all by the little voltage regulator that screws into the backside of the alternator.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Thank you 04c230 this worked out fine mine just went.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM

You are very welcome! Glad I could help save someone else a little $$$$$.
Have a great day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery/Alternator Warning Light Problem