Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Adding XM or Sirrus Radio to 2005 C230K

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Default Adding XM or Sirrus Radio to 2005 C230K

I've been thinking of adding an aftermarket XM or Sirrus radio to my 2005 C230K. I've been told that as long as the factory radio has an Aux input I can directly wire the RCA connection to the radio. My C230 came with the factory installed 6 disc changer as well, so I am not sure whether I have the AUX input available or not?
Does anyone know how to remove the stock radio? I'd like to add a custom made bracket to hold the XM or Sirrus radio unit to and Pro-fit international sells the bracket for this. Thanks all

Old 12-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Adding XM or Sirrus Radio to 2005 C230K

no auxilliary input available.

it's getting loaded now, i wonder what's your next project.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:45 PM

You need to purchase radio removal tool from either a Dealer or as I got mine on e
bay, just search for Mercedes Radio Removal Tool and you should get a few hits. Also, Sleepwalker, you don't necessarily need aux inputs to wire Sirius or XM, you can plug in and adapter into the antenna plug on the radio head and plug the antenna into the head. A friend has a BMW set up that way and it works fine. Got it done at a local Audio shop.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 PM

I know about the radio removal tools, I already have those. There is however a procedure to follow, which is more time consuming than anything. I've heard that there are screws in the air vents that needs to be loosened before the radio can be removed. I haven't been able to locate such a thing. And unlike other year models, the new 2005 radio doesn't have any slits for the radio tools to fit in to . Does anyone have the shop manual which explains the right procedure?

Old 12-08-2004, 07:50 PM

When I replaced the radio on my C280 I just used the tools and spread them out a bit and the radio slid out, no screws in my car, except for the driver. Your radio is different then earlier years, better consult with your dealer first. My ride is a 99 C280. Also, when you get it installed let me know how it works I am considering doing the same thing.

thanks!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

here you go fishhams.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/CDDB07AC48D04CF584BBCE4B6E66F3A2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/B3717EE688DE4ABEBB9836C2A2411CA1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/B7E12487D42C4264B7A6F4C2225F3635.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2004, 12:40 PM

Thanks sleepwalker.... The information was exactly what I needed.
Cheers

Old 12-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

i can always guess it was.

you're welcome.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:53 PM

I have(or will on Saturday) a 2004 C230, I too am about to add a Sirius add-on radio to my car. I purchased the Pro.Fit mount for my Sirius radio and with some minor hacksaw cutting have been able to get my audiovox SIR-PNP3 to fit pretty well. Pro-Fit sent their mount with instructions that are for model years 2001-2003. Sleepwalker did a very nice job of outlining the removal of the radio, my question is, what year car are the pictures and instructions for. Also, Sleepwalker, in the instructions for removing the radio, the first instruction says to release lock (2). In order to release the lock, is the lock to be pushed outward, upward, downward or inward. Also, I have wrenched plenty of cars in my time but I must say, this looks to be as daunting as anything I've ever tried. Is it truly that difficult? Lastly, the dealer told me some of the 2004 model C's came with prewiring for the Sirius radio and others didn't. Regardless if my did or did not, if it did, is there anything in the prewiring harness that I could use to tap into the radio.
Thanks and Regards.
Riamga

Old 02-20-2005, 01:38 PM

I am almost finished adding a Sirius Audiovox aftermarket satellite radio to my 2004 C230. Let no one tell you different, its is a very, very tough job. Unless you're blessed with nerves of steel and the hands of a surgeon, don't do it. Take it to an aftermarket radio shop that specializes in this type of work. Getting the air vents out, which is the first step in the process requires a set of flat bladed screw drivers (which you should wrap up in electrical tape so you don't scratch your dash board) and the amount of brute force required to pry out the vents is amazing. They surely were not ment to be removed unless absolutely necessary. On a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being the easiest this is definetly a 6! Again, I have a 2004 and if your car has the factory radio don't bother buying the radio removal tool, it's useless in this type of installation. The most precise set of directions ( and even they are lacking) are the ones which come with the Pro.Fit after market kit. Incidently, I purchased the Sirius kit made by Audiovox, it's the car kit made for the SIR-PNP3. I would highly recommend you purchase the Pro.Fit kit, I think its about $35 to do the installation with. it does make it neater and a little easier. After getting the front dash panel removed you will need to do the followinf things.
1) In the back of the stock radio looking at it from behind, on the middle to lower left hand egde you will see a black wire that termintes in a flat type cap connector, this is the radios antenna input. It in no way resembles an american antenna radio input.
I purchased the Audviox FM Switching Box, Model # SAT-SWB, its an accessory to the Sirius radio. you will need to cut the radio wire that comes with the stock radio and cut the american type antenna wire that comes with the FM switching box and splice them together. In so doing, it will allow you to plug the cars antenna into the FM switching box and then you will have to splice together the end of the original cars antenna to the antenna lead you cut from the FM Switching box to that so it can plug into the FM switching box. After doing these tasks the rest of the radio hookup is fairly straight forward. Again, unless you are the adventuresome type or crazy, this is defintley a job left to those who do it for a living. Best of luck.
Riamga

Quick Reply: Adding XM or Sirrus Radio to 2005 C230K