Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 C240 Door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Default Duck tape does work!

rs1756@gmail.com YOU ARE A GENIUS!! Thanks!

Initially I removed the door panel thinking I would be able to tinker with the mechanism and make it work (BTW benzwerks has a great video removing the panel on YouTube, video is titled BENZWERKS C-CLASS FRONT DOOR PANEL REMOVAL). But no such luck...so I replace the panel and was lucky enough to find this thread. I followed rs1756 instructions and it now works!! Just unscrew the button/lever or whatever you call the thing you can push up and down to lock and unlock. Wrap some tape around it to create friction when going through the hole. The trick is to get just the right amount of friction, so you'll want to test out different amounts of tape. I used electrical tape because it's black and matched the button/lever. (But I'll probably replace with some other type of black tape as I live in Atlanta and the summer heat will probably make the electrical tape adhesive get gummy).

Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1st lite
I had the same thing with the door lock (02 C240) happen to me a few months back. Hit the remote to lock or unlock the doors, and the door lock would bounce up and down 3 or 4 times. Sometimes it wouldn't lock automatically, would have to use the manual key sometimes.
I ended up purchasing a new auto lock assembly (made by Hella) from the dealer and installed it myself. I asked one of the mechanics how long it would take and how difficult to change. You need to have some mechanical knowledge and it will take somewhere between 2-3 hours (took me a little longer). You also need to drill out some pop rivets to make the job a bit easier. The mechanism is fairly tight to remove and re-install. The pop rivets will have to be replaced when the door latch mechanism is in place. MB will also sell you the pop rivets. I'll have to admit, it was a bit fustrating at times to shoe horn that thing in and line it up. It's done and it works great!
Someone mentioned to pull up the rubber boot that slides over the door pull rod and to put some lube on the rod. You may want to try this out first. Just remove the door panel and you will see the rubber boot. Nothing to lose by trying this first. (this was dicsussed in an old thread, you can do a search "door locks").
I have the same problem. I have removed the door panel but I am not able to separate the actuator for the exterior locking mechanism. Could you please help

Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Smile C240 door lock problem

The lock on my left rear door on my 2004 C240 started doing the "machine gun sound" when I try to lock the car. After consulting the thread, I tried the duck tape fix mentioned on 5/1/2011. It worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the help