Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2002 C240 Door lock problem

Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Default 2002 C240 Door lock problem

So, I'm new here, but I figured this was the place to get help with my car.

When I attempt to lock or unlock my car, the lock vibrates on my driver's side door. If the car is locked, it will not unlock. If it's unlocked, it will not lock. It simply vibrates for a few seconds. I can unlock or lock the door manually.

I'm just hoping there's a simple fix that doesn't involve taking the door apart or taking it to a repair shop.

Thanks for the insight

Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Default RE: 2002 C240 Door lock problem

Sounds like the door actuator needs to be replaced.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 AM

There is a sensor on the door lock actuator that is failing to sense whether the lock button is up or down so it goes up and down several times trying to find its location. Simple solution not sure yet, I need to remove my inner door skin to see what is wronge, you will need to do the same thing I am waiting till i find out how to remove the inner door skin without breaking anything or accidentaly deploying the side curtain air bag. If you find out anything else please let me know.
Thanks and good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM

months ago I had the same problem, and it was the drivers door accuator. I removed the door skin with the use of Torex tools and took my 2002 C240 to a body shop where they drilled out the rivets and removed and installed the airbag and the door lock for $100 cash and went to Mercedes and payed $50-60 for part. Doors worked great but now I have an SRS light flashing at me????

Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM

I had the same thing with the door lock (02 C240) happen to me a few months back. Hit the remote to lock or unlock the doors, and the door lock would bounce up and down 3 or 4 times. Sometimes it wouldn't lock automatically, would have to use the manual key sometimes.
I ended up purchasing a new auto lock assembly (made by Hella) from the dealer and installed it myself. I asked one of the mechanics how long it would take and how difficult to change. You need to have some mechanical knowledge and it will take somewhere between 2-3 hours (took me a little longer). You also need to drill out some pop rivets to make the job a bit easier. The mechanism is fairly tight to remove and re-install. The pop rivets will have to be replaced when the door latch mechanism is in place. MB will also sell you the pop rivets. I'll have to admit, it was a bit fustrating at times to shoe horn that thing in and line it up. It's done and it works great!
Someone mentioned to pull up the rubber boot that slides over the door pull rod and to put some lube on the rod. You may want to try this out first. Just remove the door panel and you will see the rubber boot. Nothing to lose by trying this first. (this was dicsussed in an old thread, you can do a search "door locks").

Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 PM

I just experienced the same thing with my C240. The driver door pin shakes when locks and unlocks. And my friend who has a C32 AMG also has the same problem.
Should we all put in a complaint to Mercedes so they can recall this or something?
This is really frustrating as I wouldn't expect something like this would happened to a MB with 37K miles on it.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM

sounds like you need to installed a new lock assy in the door.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:17 PM

I am facing same issue on my C320. I have to always try many times to unlock or lock;and sometime it is stuck. I am worried regarding the cost invlolved as my warranty is over on this car....

Help me guys. If any one know any other repair shop in Rockville, Maryland or nearby.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 PM

how do I remove the door lock handle on a 1992 mercerdes 4002 on drivers side..really need some help on this one

Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Default Repaired with duck tape

The reason the lock bounces is because the door actuator dampening spring is broken. to repair this broken spring is not worth the trouble. Better dampen the actuator by raping tape on the lock lever. You do this by removing the lock lever by rotating it counter clock wise and then raping one layer of ducktap on the end of the lever. Than install the lock lever by rotating clockwise on to the lock lever bolt. The rubbing of the tap on the sides hole where the lock lever travel provides sufficient friction to dampen the lock actuator to not need the spring. The bouncing of the lock ends. I hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 C240 Door lock problem