Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2002-C240 Battery Keeps Dying!!! Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Exclamation 2002-C240 Battery Keeps Dying!!! Please Help.

I have a Mercedes C240 - 2002 that dies if it sits over night, I already replaced the battery and the alternator was replaced 3 times. I used two different alternators, the first two were auto lite and then someone recommended a Beck/Arnley and thats what i currently have but it still keeps dying. Has this happened to anyone else?? I dont know what else it could be? Please help, thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Talking

The proper way to diagnose a dead battery is as follows:
1. Take the car, while it is running, to any auto parts store like Checker, Auto Zone, etc. and they will bring the machine out to your car and hook it up and tell you what is going on with the battery and the condition of the alternator. There is no charge for this. They sell parts and want your business.

2. You buy only what is faulty, nothing more, or you have a mechanic replace the part.

3. If something else is going on, like a short or a faulty seat module, then you diagnose again and replace ONLY what is causing the drain on the battery.

This way, you save time AND money. Always diagnose first, then fix.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrcoyote
The proper way to diagnose a dead battery is as follows:
1. Take the car, while it is running, to any auto parts store like Checker, Auto Zone, etc. and they will bring the machine out to your car and hook it up and tell you what is going on with the battery and the condition of the alternator. There is no charge for this. They sell parts and want your business.

2. You buy only what is faulty, nothing more, or you have a mechanic replace the part.

3. If something else is going on, like a short or a faulty seat module, then you diagnose again and replace ONLY what is causing the drain on the battery.

This way, you save time AND money. Always diagnose first, then fix.
Coyote,
Thanks for the response, I actually already got it diagnosed by Checkers, autozone and by an actual Benz dealer itself for the 3 different alternators I already put in it, and they all told me it was the alternator. The first time they told me I could have received a faulty Alternator from they place I bought it, so I exchanged it for the same one, and then the dealer told me it I should try the Beck Arnley...
Do you have any other Ideas? Thank you.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 AM

So, let me get this straight. Three different places said you needed an alternator and all three alternators have been bad? Usually, no....always.....when somebody replaces an alternator, they check the output right then and there to be sure it's putting out the proper voltage to the battery. It's hard to believe you went through this three times in a row with different alternators. Something else is going on here. Number 1: Go back to Mercedes or Checker or somewhere and have them test the ouput of the alternator right there for you.
Tell them what you've been through. If the thing is not putting out the proper voltage, they owe you a new one, period. If it is, there's something else going on with the car.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 AM

Hello everyone.I'm new to this forum.From last three-four months I'm having the same problem.But was not able to get ride of it.Can anyone please help me out with a simple solution.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Talking

Be sure it's not the seat modules under the front seats. This has been known to drain batteries and stump people. If it's not that, see above comments please.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Default Drained battery

Henry, is your problem resolved?

Alan.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM

I have this exact same issue. If I let my car set over night it is dead the next morning, even with a brand new battery. this just started happening a week ago. Does anyone have a resolution to this issue?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi.

I am having this same issue. I was curious if you ever got a resolution to this issue?
Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Wade

Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Default Richiek

Hello every one....I had similar problem in volvo, best way to check is to remove negative terminal and connect bulb inbetween terminal and battery, than take clock fuse out and than remove each fuse one by one and note when bulb goes off. There we go you have found the faulty circuit. Usually central locking swithes in the driver door causes such problem. It can be dangerous could catch fire due to heat. let me know if it helps all the best.
Richie