Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 C300 B Service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Default 08 C300 B Service?

I'm a few thousand km's away from my B service. I found out that this service is around $700-800!! Apparently my car doesn't like me much if it tells me I need my *ss reamed by my dealer!

Does anyone think this service is necessary? I've looked at what's involved in the service manual, and it's a lot of "inspecting", and the only service I see is changing the oil and filter. This service will be done when my bumper to bumper warranty will expire, so in a way I would like them to find anything they can to get under warranty. At the same time, I think the cost of this service is obscene. I'm thinking I'll just have the oil changed and the brakes inspected. What's worse is if you pay the $700 for the B service, and they find something not covered under warranty, you have to pay again to get it fixed!!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Talking

Welcome to the wonderful world of dealership service costs! Just kidding you. There are a few ways to look at this and it's really up to you to pick where you stand on this, and I've read hundreds of posts over the years on this subject. First, the Service A is the glorified oil change w/ some things "inspected". The B Service is more comprehensive and they might replace a cabin filter or something else....you can find the list and see yourself. As far as them looking for things to do/replace under warranty.....that may or may not happen, since the burden to find problems during your warranty seems to rest on you, not on them. If there is anything you see or feel going on with the car, bring it up to them and have it documented now before the warranty expires. That way, if it surfaces later on, it on paper.
Remember, if you don't do the Service B, they will not reset the indicator, so you will be staring at that unless you know how to do it or somebody does it for you. You can ask here if you need that info. and somebody will share it with you for your model car. Some would say that Service A and Service B are "part of owning a Mercedes", and that's a small price to pay in that respect, and it's for the "good of the car". Different opinions for sure. Another choice would be to have an independent garage do the service for you and reset the indicator. A lot of people don't know you have that choice and no, it does not "void" the remainder of your warranty as long as it is documented service. You might be able to save some there. Hope this helps you in some way.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Default A and B service

I have an '06 C280 4matic and it is due for its second A service and will need the B service in about 5k miles. I had the dealer do the first A service but that won't happen again. I have been doing all my own work on my vehicles for the past 35 years -a real DIY. I have been collecting tons of tools over the years including diagnostic equipment, welders, torque wrenches, etc. I've changed everything from engines to oil changes on BMWs to Chevys. I'll help anyone trying to get out of paying the STEALERSHIP. So if you can do the physical inspections, oil changes, filter changes, etc. here is the link to how to reset your service light. Make sure you keep all your receipts and record the dates the work was performed. Most parts like the filters are available at local foreign auto parts stores.

http://www.autodiagnos.com/fileadmin..._servlight.pdf

Last edited by BENZGAS; 06-28-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: ad info
Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM

the reset procedure has changed for 2008 and up. the reset is done with only the steering wheel buttons.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM

After driving the C300 for a year, do you still like it?