Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 C240 won't crank, won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Default '02 C240 won't crank, won't shift out of park

'02 C240 75k won't crank, won't shift out of park. no power at fuse 55 or 52 when key is turned to crank position. turned key to run and put 12 volts to fuse 52, car starts and runs fine but still won't come out of park. anybody have any more ideas?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by concord
'02 C240 75k won't crank, won't shift out of park. no power at fuse 55 or 52 when key is turned to crank position. turned key to run and put 12 volts to fuse 52, car starts and runs fine but still won't come out of park. anybody have any more ideas?
Trans control module could be filled up with trans fluid. Also the rear sam/fuse box are common issue on those cars. Keys also are a problem. maybe you just have a bad relay? try swapping relays around.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Default '02 C240 won't crank, won't shift out of park

I swapped key with spare, same results-- how do I check the trans. module can I take it off and inspect--what is "rear sam/ fuse" what do I check, which relays do I swap around

Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 AM

I swapped key with spare, same results-- how do I check the tranthis and that is attached to the fuse box therewhat is "rear sam/ fuse" what do I check, which relaysto unplug it do I swap around
the trans control module is under the passenger side floor under the dash.you have to pull back the carpet and then you will see a metal plate which has the control unit .there are 3 10 millimeter plastic screws holding the metal plate to the floor. You have to unplug it. you will see transmission fluid in the connectors if it is filled with transmission fluid. this will not cause the car to not start, but this will cause the car to not shift.

the rear sam is in the trunk on the left side of the panel. there is an access panel. the sam is attached to the fuse box.

when I say swap relays I mean swap ones that are the same.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Sorry for long delay getting back to you but it's been cold in Connecticut. I did swap all of the relays around in the engine compartment fuse bay and now it comes out of park normally. I don't know if this had anything to do with the relays? So now, my only problem is that the engine won't crank unless I put power to fuse 52. Once I do that the car starts and can be driven fairly normally. Do you have any ideas on what I would try now? Thanks.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Sorry for long delay getting back to you but it's been cold in Connecticut. I did swap all of the relays around in the engine compartment fuse bay and now it comes out of park normally. I don't know if this had anything to do with the relays? So now, my only problem is that the engine won't crank unless I put power to fuse 52. Once I do that the car starts and can be driven fairly normally. Do you have any ideas on what I would try now? Thanks.
try this, not sure if you can open it.
STAR TekInfo

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM

Thanks Chassis but I can't open that. My problem seems to be kind of intermittent, in which case I don't think it's a fuse or anything like that. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Concord did you ever get you car fixed? I'm having the same problems as you had. Car drove fine last year. The battery went dead over the winter. I just put a new battery in it and it won't start now. I have to run a wire to the fuse to get it started but I can't get the car out of park now. How did you get it out of park? Any help would be nice or tips to getting out of park. Lol if I can do that ill just put a starter button switch from the battery and fuse box

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Hey Bub, I did get my car started normally. It turned out to be a relay either in the k or the s position of the front fuse box. I noticed that the symptoms changed when I switched these two relays with each other so I bought two new ones on line for $5 and now the car starts and runs fine! If you have a C240 or similar car, you can easily get it out of park by opening the cup holder and popping out the small change holder and reaching in with a screw driver and pushing down on the white tab which will unlock the gear shifter. This is described in your owner's manual as well. I think I dodged a huge bullet at the dealerships! Let me know how you make out.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM

I don't have a owners manual that y I'm online looking stuff up. Well I went out and worked on the car a little bit. I got it to come out of park. Switched the relays around still no start. Now I get a p0600 code that says serial communication link malfunction so I'm thinking the ECM/ECU is shot. Thanks for the info on the shifter

Quick Reply: '02 C240 won't crank, won't shift out of park