Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Help : How do I reset the ECU ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Default Help : How do I reset the ECU ?

My Euro '99 C240 Sport Wagon seems to be in "Safety Mode" : acceleration is very poor, engine won't pull more than about 4,000rpm, etc., etc. although all else seems to be ok.

I think the ECU went into "Safety Mode" following a broken tail-light switch, which I replaced recently - thanks to this forum ! ! !

While on the subject : how can I read and/or get the "codes" out of the system ? Do I have to go to a dealer ?

Thanx a 1,000,000

Michael

Old 02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Default RE: Help : How do I reset the ECU ?

You need an OBDII code scanner to read fault codes and to clear them. There are some pretty cheap ones around because they're universal. Search the Web.

You can also clear the code by disconnecting and reconnecting your battery. Disconnect both cables and touch them together for 10-15 seconds before reconnecting. You won't know what the code was, but it won't matter if the ECU doesn't set the same code again. You'll need the radio code and you'll need to resync the windows. Info is in your owner's manual.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 PM

I would only add to the process outlined by Lugnut by leaving the battery disconnected for 30 min. I once thought this was overkill, but tried 10 mins and something was screwy(don't remember what). How I knew to try it again for 30mins is beyond me, but every thing was as it should be afterwards.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-19-2006, 09:58 PM

If you touch the two disconnected cables together you don't have to wait 30 minutes. The "ghosts" are instantly sent into the ether.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

ECU went into "Safety Mode"
it never happens.

was the check engine light "on"?

Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 AM

"Safety Mode" never happens ? Please read the Manual : there is a safety mode that kicks in when there is for example a brake-system problem (which I had - a broken stop-light switch) . In sfety mode the engine is limited in acceleration and will not rev over about 4,000rpm. It happens and it is documented in your manual.

My problem : engine starts and idles but does not accelerate at all is NOT safety mode as it is described in the manual.

Once again : engine starts and idle but does almost NOTHING when I push the accelerator pedal it will eventualy stall if I leave the pedal floored. I checked the accel cable : it is ok.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

there is a "limp home" mode or "emergency mode" for the engine and transmission i know.

but if it happens, you still can drive the car on a limited rpm. check engine light will be "on".

Old 02-23-2006, 06:02 AM

MY CARS SERVICE FLEX LIGHT IS ON (YOU KNOW THE WRENCHES) IS THAT ALSO RESETABLE WITHOUT TAKING MY CAR TO GET SERVICED...MONEY IS TIGHT RIGHT NOW...

Old 02-23-2006, 06:33 AM

NEVERMIND I FOUND OUT HOW TO RESET MY FSS..THANKS ANYWAY..

Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM

How did you reset your fss?

I want to reset mine because Ive already done everything in a service A myself, but the fss needs to be reset still.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Help : How do I reset the ECU ?