General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2005 ml350 please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Default 2005 ml350 please help

I need some help.

New fuel pump, alternator is good, new battery, and cleaned mass air flow sensor.

2005 Mercedes ML350
The car starts and idles perfect, the battery light is now on after putting a new one in, when I put the car in drive and accelerate it dies after 10-15 ft. The power steering goes off but the radio and ac stays on. My windows will not go down and my doors won't lock.

HELP!!!! BEFOR MY HUSBAND PULLS OUT ALL HIS HAIR! ANY IDEAS AND HELP WOULD BE FANTASTIC!!!

Old 11-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Hello , Before he polls his last hair out, I question the "good alternator" Almost all modern gasoline powered automobiles require a minimum of roughly 10 volts to run the electric fuel pumps. At slightly less voltage the spark system quits.
The light on the alternator is telling a story. In plain language it says watch out I am not working. It requires a power source to its field winding's , it must be rotating , and both brushes must not be stuck, or worn out. Further the voltage of its output wire must rise to about 14 1/2 volts at idle, and supply that voltage to the battery, as well as the vehicle.
Do all new parts work perfectly? NO , humans built them. Are all failure to charge problems caused by an alternator. NO.
I advise your husband to do the following. #1 Use a automatic battery charger and fully recharge the battery. While doing that, carefully clean and lightly grease the battery terminals, paying close attention to corrosion of the positive wire.
#2 using a voltage tester,with the cleaned connections reconnected check the voltage of the alternator output terminal with the car off. It should be exactly the same as the battery.
#3 When the battery is fully recharged, Voltage should be about 13 volts, leave the volt meter on. Start the car . watch the meter, Voltage should immediately rise to about 14 1/2. Turn on all accessories air cond. and headlights. Voltage should hold steady. I have assumed your battery has been tested and is fine. I live in Northern Canada and 5 to 6 years is about average battery life here. A bad battery can kill a new alternator fairly quickly as can not recharging a dead battery with a battery charger. Good luck Allan