Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

Passenger side outside mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Default Passenger side outside mirror

One of the menu options on my SL 55 AMG has an 'on' 'off' selection for the outside mirror when the car is parked. What does this mean? Also, why does the glass in the passenger side mirror lack the black rubber border that is found on the driver's side mirror. I have checked this on 4 or 5 2-door new MBs and its the same with them...so it is just not my car. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Default RE: Passenger side outside mirror

Hi, I think its the facility to move the passenger mirrow downwards so that you can see the rear wheel and curb when reversing. Not totally sure how it works, you adjust the mirror in reverse and press the M button on the seat adjuster. Sometimes it works on mine, sometimes it doesnt

The drivers mirrors are auto dimming so I would guess the passenger one isnt.

hth, herbie

Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 PM

Thanks....that explains it. It is funny that the owner's manual does not mention it.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: herbiefrog

Hi, I think its the facility to move the passenger mirrow downwards so that you can see the rear wheel and curb when reversing. Not totally sure how it works, you adjust the mirror in reverse and press the M button on the seat adjuster. Sometimes it works on mine, sometimes it doesnt

The drivers mirrors are auto dimming so I would guess the passenger one isnt.

hth, herbie
This might explain why it sometimes works on your mirror and at other times it does not. This is an answer that I got on another forum:

"Are you possibly reffering to the "mirror set when parked/parking" option ? this lowers the passanger mirror when vehicle is engaged into reverse so you can see the curb or low objects........must also have the passanger mirror adjustment switch set to the passanger side for this to function."

Old 09-27-2005, 05:21 PM

Sounds sensible, when I reverse into the garage, I dont want the mirror to move, but a couple of times when it's just done it parking on the street I've thought "that's useful"

Thanks for the info, I'll try it tomorrow.

PS noticed the black around the drivers mirror this evening, never actually noticed before but I had noticed that it doesnt have a sensor like the interior mirror, I guess they both work from the same sensor.

How's Bangkok? Spent a lot of time there over the last decade (no more). Last time was about a year after the skytrain was finished. Great place, bit smelly, and how can you drive there?

Cheers, Herbie

Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Passenger side outside mirror & BANGKOK

ORIGINAL: herbiefrog

Sounds sensible, when I reverse into the garage, I dont want the mirror to move, but a couple of times when it's just done it parking on the street I've thought "that's useful"

Thanks for the info, I'll try it tomorrow.

PS noticed the black around the drivers mirror this evening, never actually noticed before but I had noticed that it doesnt have a sensor like the interior mirror, I guess they both work from the same sensor.

How's Bangkok? Spent a lot of time there over the last decade (no more). Last time was about a year after the skytrain was finished. Great place, bit smelly, and how can you drive there?

Cheers, Herbie
Herbie,

It is actually very clever. I don't think many people take advantage of it as it is not detailed in the owner's manual. I noticed it by accident and it was only via this forum that I learned how and why it worked. You are right...it is a nuisance if you are backing into a garage (and that is why you would keep the driver's mirror control button in the on or depressed position)...but when backing into a parallel parking spot it is useful to see the curb (then you would have the mirror button favoring the passenger side mirror).

I really love living in Bangkok. I started coming here in '81....then I moved here in 1999. We have two MBs in BKK and two in the States. As you know, driving in BKK is exciting. You have to anticipate that everyone will change lanes without warning and that passing on two lane roads is like playing 'chicken'. The upside is that if you ever get stopped by the cops for a traffic violation a 300 Baht (about $12) gratuity will get you off with a smile.

Also, if you drive a MB and your are a 'farang' (westerner) you are very unlikely to be stopped...in fact many of the cops think you are part of an embassy and they will stop oncoming traffic for you if you are making a cross traffic turn.

The downside is that MBs cost 2 to 3 times what they cost in the States. I am serious....a 200SLK runs more than $100,000. Of course it is outfitted with all the extras....The Thai tax is geared to engine size.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Default RE: Passenger side outside mirror & BANGKOK

Funny story:

A friend of mine called me one day and asked for help: (she has 2001 BMW 330ci Manual) “hey, I've got a problem! The reverse on my car does not work, and the car is parked front in, so I can not get out of the spot!!!”
Well, I rushed to save her. I got there, jumped in to the car, put it into reverse and backed it up with no problem…
- “So, why did you think its not working?” – I asked.
– “I am sure it didn’t work!”, - she said – “When I put it into reverse, the mirror did not go down!!!”