Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Talk about it here.

Leather or Vinyl Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Default RE: Leather or Vinyl Seats

Hi Lugnut,

You're a very knowledgable Mercedes guru. I just purchased a 1995 C280 and was told that my interior was 'parchment.' It looks like vinyl to me. Could it be MB Tex? Was MB Tex an option for this model or is it leather? I was assuming it was leather, but I'm not too sure. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:32 AM

I don't know. Your question is the same one I had/have.

One way to tell is to keep in mind that natural leather isn't perfect, and man-made materials made to look like leather look perfect.

The vinyl will have repeating patterns where each piece of real leather has unqiue patterns and possibly scratches caused by ****** wire when the animal was alive.

I think sleepwalker may be able to "run" your VIN and tell how your car is optioned. Ask him real nice and offer him a beer and some BBQ'd water buffalo.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:52 AM

Don't know how much that would apply to MB, but latest trend is building recliner, automotive seats with combination. Leather in 21 Century is one of the worst materials available, but it sells (to nuts).
So new seats have only the center of the pads done with natural leather and all the sides and backing with vinyl.
I am very good in telling the difference, but quite often on new seats have to take a look on back side.
We had Volvo with fabric, that after 17 years and 170k miles got junked in perfectly running condition.
The car was beaten up in family driving, later in school delivery (bunch of boys) and the seats, never cleaned were still in good usable (although somehow dirty) condition.
When we ordered new Mercedes, we insisted on fabric. The dealer took a strange look at us, but what a nut would pay $3000 more for something of lesser durability?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, tell me the VIN and we will find out.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:38 PM

I don't like cloth seats. The newer, plusher leather seats are more comfortable to sit in.

- Cloth causes static electricity.
- It's difficult to slide on the cloth to get in or out.
- My pants always get "bunched up" on cloth seats.
- Leather looks better as it wears. Cloth looks worn as it wears.
- Cloth stains easier.
- Cloth retains odors.
- Cloth is harder to clean and it needs time to dry after cleaning.

It's been interesting over the years how cloth, leather, and vinyl have come into and out of vogue. There have been times when cloth was a more expensive option than vinyl, and vice versa. The prices have always been determined by the market.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM

The MB cloth is fabric only in the center. All the sides and edges are vinyl. After 7 years no need for cleaning.
7 years old leather usually is due for replacement.
MB makes very good interiors. I've seen 3-years old leather in VW badly worn.
Than the leatherette in the 23 years old MB, that I used to have had only one rip on the driver seat.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 PM

My leather seats are 10-years-old and look and feel new. No wear, no tears, no scuffs. They're just broken in.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:44 PM

You live in colder climate and probably keep the car in the shade most of the time.
Try to park it every day under direct sun, so the seats will get "nice and cozy at 160F".
After moving to CA and having vinyl seats I learned to wear long pants in the summer the hard way.
Second degree burns on your butt really hurt.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 PM

Georgia gets pretty hot and humid in the summer. You ever hear of Hotlanta?

We park our cars here with the windows cracked open so the glass doesn't blow out.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:07 PM

I read that Mercedes is offering cloth seats in lieu of Leather Seats for the PETA types. Amazing what a company will do to bet business.

The article said the cloth will be a very high quality and last for years.

Personally I like leather as it is easier on my back, once you get on some cloth seats, your stuck there, at least with leather you and move around and I sit more confortably. Also, there is nothing like seating on leather in a wet bathing suit and a beautiful women sitting next to you in her wet bathing suit, both dripping wet and then you move over, and the damm console is in the way. I miss bench seats sometimes!

Quick Reply: Leather or Vinyl Seats