General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

WIS-ASRA Installation

Old 11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Default WIS-ASRA Installation

Hello!

I'm trying to install the WIS-ASRA program. I don't know the program, I don't even know what it is about. I'm doing this for a friend who bought a Mercedes and then bought the program in the USA, but he doesn't understand a word of english, so he asked me to help him. I did everything that is asked in the instuctions and I think that I managed to install it. But when I'm asked to open the PMADM archive a window opens and it says, in German: "Die Birkung ist nicht aktiv oder kann nich gefundet werden. Bitte versuchen sie es später noch ein mal." But I don´t understand what I should wait for. Is it needed to be conected to the internet? I would appreciate it very much, if somebody helped me with this problem. I don´t know much about computers, so please, If you could use a sipmple language... Thanks a lot for your help!

Elotxu

Old 11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: WIS-ASRA Installation

the PM is not installed properly.

it is not needed to run WIS anyway. just remove or ignore it.

why you want to run the PM? for license key?

Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Hello!

Thank you for answering! Yes, I need to open that archive to change the language to spanish and then to get the LAN ID. Isn`t it necesary? And do you know why isn´t the PM installed properly? Should I do the whole installation again? Thanks again!

Elotxu

Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

get the LAN ID?

reinstall the WIS and choose "no" if asked to install Client server.

your ethernet is not properly configured, that's why PM won't work well.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Hello again...!

Curiousely, the PMADM archive appeared in my computer without reinstalling it, and I was able to run it. I got the LAN ID and I generated what I think is a licence key. But when I go back, as explained in the instructions, something extrange happens. An empty MS-DOS window pops up, and I don`t know what it is for. When I try to open the progam, an error message appears, telling me that there is no conection with the licence server. And then, if I try to open the PMADM again, I find it once more imposible to open. It happens the same each time that I reset the computer...

Old 12-07-2006, 12:24 AM

Did you install the loopback adapter?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:27 AM

I`m sorry... I may look really ignorant, but what is a loopback adapter?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Posted elsewhere and might be of interest:
-----------

Install the ‘Loopback Adapter’ using the ‘Add Hardware’ feature from ‘Control Panel‘ before the installation of WIS. WIS will sometimes not operate without this Adapter installed.

Access ‘Control Panel’ from the ‘Start’ menu > ‘Add Hardware‘. The Add Hardware wizard screen will appear > click NEXT > Windows searches for new hardware then prompts for question response > select: “Yes, I have already connected the hardware” > click NEXT > select from list: “Add a new hardware device” > click NEXT > select: “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” > click NEXT > select from the list: “Network Adapters” > click NEXT > Select from left pane of manufacturers: “Microsoft” & from the right pane: “Microsoft Loopback Adapter” > click NEXT twice > click FINISH.

Note: Not all systems require the installation of the Loopback Adapter. To test yours, first complete WIS installation with Loopback Adapter then access ‘Connect to’ > “Show all connections”, from the ‘Start’ menu. Right-click on the Loopback Adapter icon and select disable. If WIS continues to function without error, this adapter is not required and can be uninstalled if you wish. Via ‘Control Panel’, ‘Add or Remove Programs’.
------
Do this before installing any of WIS. Reboot your PC after installing loopback adapter. You need to delete any WIS bits that you have already installed. You need to delete all directories and registry entries.