General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

W123 wheel bearing mystery, Has anyone seen this before??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Default W123 wheel bearing mystery, Has anyone seen this before??

INstalled new *** rear bearing kit, done it many times, not rocket science.

- with bare hand alone on socket when the nut started to feel it was tightening there was zero endplay, and the flange was suspiciously tight,

took it out , verified the races were "all the way home", reinstalled it, this time with one hand on ratchet wrench, one bare hand on counterhold, got proper endplay with less than one turn of the nut, the flange felt too tight.

next morning after doing nothing overnight there was zero endplay and th flange was too tight.

backed the nut off, to .005 in. endplay, still the flange was too tight. yes yes I know about using new crush washer....

Has anyone seen this before??

I suspect something fishy about the *** bearings, mis matched roller tapers or something.

It is a new (used) trailing arm , used, the previous one broke right in two, the bearing races installed normally,

The only thing that seems worth it is to try SKF or some other quality bearing. A call to the *** engineers say another bearing kit or different brand.

Ideas ??? feedback especially from somebody who has seen it before.

Perhaps its fine as is and when I drive it a bit, it will warm up, excess grease packed into roller cage will be squeazed out, and it will normalize.....

Thx in advance.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Hello, I am an industrial millwright and in response to your question, the answer is yes. In industry we have to deal with bearing failures and prevention of occurrence regularly. . I wish ,I could see the used trailing arm. It is a strong possibility that it is part of your problem. To properly determine the cause is going to be difficult. I cannot comment on the brand. That is unethical. What I strongly recommend is to look up a industrial bearing sales business locally. Their staff should be well trained in bearing failure analysis, as well as having access to bearing engineers . They have the tools, the education , and should be happy to help you . They might even sell you a quality bearing that they might guarantee. Good luck allan

Old 12-16-2016, 05:09 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time. These boards are really doing thier job when a professional brings such knowledge to us mere DIYers.

I'll try driving at a bit, see if its plugged with too much freezing grease. Drive it, warm it up, eject the excess grease, see if it lossens up. Here near san francisco 44 degrees F at 2:30 i, that is freezing.

I notice when removing a perfectly good functioning wheel bearing there is comparatively little grease, not much at all ... the cage is not stuffed crammed full, seem possible that could make it resist free movement when moving it bare handed . Especially in freezing cold.... well, CA freezing.