General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Default transmission fluid

Hey does anyone out there knows what syntheic transmission fluid my 2001 SLK 230 takes. I was told only the dealership has these fluids and they want 20.00 a quart. I have an automatic transmission in my vehicle.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: transmission fluid

That's the place to get it. I have an 01 SLK 320 auto. No way to easily add some, so get it all changed (around 50K miles) at a MB shop which has the BG Transmission fluid flush machine (a very common system). A life long friend of mine is the dealer service director for a So Cal MB dealership and clued me in on this issue. I am SURE our own Sleepwalker can advise you on this also.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:20 AM

BikerDrew is Correct !

Don't screw around with putting anything in there but the "correct" fluid. It's generally not a good idea to "mix" fluids, specially not in a Transmission.

According to my shop manual:
MB Automatic Transmission Fluid (Part Number 001 989 21 03 10) is the ONLY fluid that is approved for use in automatic transmission 722.6

Hope this helps

Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 AM

Thats what my manual said too but its not the case. BG Universal Synthetic ATF is approved by Mercedes-Benz for the 722.6 transmission as is Redline. Merecede-Benz dealers in my area are considering switching over to BG and many independent garages already use it in MBs.
Remember, if your manual is for a pre-2000 car (I don't know how long they produced the 722.6NN transmission) then the transmission oil recomendation is 6 years old. That is plenty of time for aftermarket companies to make a product to MBs standards. My mechanic believes it does a better job than MB fluid and has been using it for years. My personal experience with BG is my transmission has never run as smooth or queit, yet the shifts seem crisper in terms of power transfer.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:40 AM

I just remembered, I found a place on line that sells MB A/T fluid for around $10 per liter. Plus if you don't live in Texas and purchase over $75 (which you will if you buy the necessary liters to fill the transmission) then you pay no tax or shipping.
Here's the link.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:12 PM

The reason I was asking is because I want to change out the transmission filter. I know MB stated that the fluid is lifetime but I don't want to end up buy a transmission in the long run. I just realized that there is no transmission dipstick to check the fluid in the transmission. Is there any way to check the fluid ? Has anyone change out the transmission filter before ?

Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 PM

Yea, lots of people.
I had mine done last week with 85K mi. I didn't see the fluid but my mechanic said it was black, as in filthy. The dip stick is a repair item and cost around 50$. You'd use it to check the level on refill (BTW, there is a procedure to refill which requires heating the oil. You don't want to over fill) and then leave it out, capping the dip stick enterence to the transmission.
A filter kit is available for around $20, which includes a filter (duh) and pan gasket.
I wouldn't think twice about it-change the fluid and do it every 40K mi. or so.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mine was changed when they did the fluid service I described earlier.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Does anyone know the procedure in doing so ? I want to do it myself but don't want to mess it up on the refill. I called around and was told by numerouse shops that if there is nothing wrong not to change it. I can take out the pan and filter but need some guidence in the filling and checking process.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:26 PM

I called around and was told by numerouse shops that if there is nothing wrong not to change it.
That is the response I got from two dealer shops I called. However, every independent shop said to replace the fluid. Some said at 90k mi, others every 60k mi. Some owners do theirs every 30k mi. To change or not to change, that is the question? First, MB made it possible to change the fluid on their "fluid for life" transmission. I know this because they sell the fluid and dip stick. Secondly, transmission fluids, like other lubricants, have component properties that get used up over time: conditioners and such. My feeling is since the transmission is a $5,000 part, and replacing the fluid certainly can't hurt, I choose to error on the side of caution.

Here is a "how to" for changeing the fluid. Please note that I am not vouching for this advice. However, it could provide a starting point. I'd check the procedure out with some shops before I accepted it.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid