Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > General Mercedes Benz Forums > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 02:42 AM

Default secondary air pump failure

Wanted to post the following information to help save owners some money. I recently had my check engine light come on. Took my 2004 S500 (51,000 miles)into dealership. I was told my secondary air pump needed to be replaced. I spent nearly $1200 and picked up the car next day. When I looked at my receipt closer. I noticed they had replaced the relay $50 and a $5 fuse. I had previosly replaced the same relay for my Airmatic. I opened fuse box and noticed the new updated relay. I called my service advisor and asked him if the issue was the relay, fuse, or the air pump. He insisted all 3 must me switched out. I asked why they would not switch out the fuse, relay for $55 and recheck the pump.

I insisted they test my pump and get back to me. 3 days later I get a call from my service advisor and told the secondary air pump tested fine. During his research though, he discovered this should have been covered for 7 yrs by MB since this affects emissions. They refunded my money.

I wonder how many others have paid to have this replaced????
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Default Secondar Air Pump

My 2005 CLK Cab engine warning light also came on and my local Merc shop told me I needed a new secondary air pump - $1,000.
I found this forum and after reading dfishbough's comments, i told them they should check the relay and see if the pump would then function properly - guess what ?? They told me the wire into the relay (or maybe into the pump) was frayed, so they cleaned it up and bingo all's now fine. I have a sneaking suspicion the only real problem was the relay (a $55 part), but they were a bit embarassed that i'd called them out. Still paid the $150 minimum service charge as well, but $200 beats paying $1,000. What a great forum this is - thanks dfishbough !!

Last edited by MikeG; 09-02-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: improve readibility
Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM

My 2005 E350 warning light came on and my local Merc shop in Kew Melbourne told me I needed a secondary air pump and insisted it was not the relay or fuse when I questioned them. The cost for the secondary air pump in Australia is A$2500 plus labour to install, which seems an incredible mark up compared with $1,000 in US. I did some investigation and found that the part could be imported from Europe for 500 euro which is less A$1000. We may have a few extra import duties but this sort of mark up is ridiculous. Rang a few other Mercedes places and the cost was identical. Is this collusion? Certainly a disgrace and wont be buying another Merc in Australia if this is standard rip off procedure by the dealers.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM

can any one tell me what is secondary air. code is P0410
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM

I need to know what is secondary air on my 1997 E320. THE CODE READ P0410 can you reply as soon as possible
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Tags
air, amg, benz, c220, class, for, ford, fuse, mercedes, ml, pump, relay, s500, secondary, work