General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

(Replacement) key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Default (Replacement) key fobs

A general key fob question for the crowd... I've got a 2001/2002 CLK 320 (UK) and the key fob (3 button type) is now pretty worn out - the clip for the blade has broken and the buttons are starting to crack. So I need to replace the key fob but obviously don't want to pay a full retail price for it. Importantly, the electronics are absolutely fine.

So what can I do about this? Obviously there are plenty of auctions on eBay for 3-button key fobs, but postings that I've come across seem to indicate that once a 3-button fob has been programmed to a specific vehicle then it cannot be re-programmed to work with another vehicle. What's the actual situation here - can I get a 3-button key fob re-programmed? If so, has anybody got a feel for what re-programming should cost through a UK dealer?

I guess that another option here might be that since the electronics in my key fob are working fine then it might be possible to remove them and insert them into the body of a replacement fob. If so, is anybody aware of any good guides for doing this?

MTIA.

Jim

Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Default RE: (Replacement) key fobs

It's called a "Smart Key" because it was pretty smart of Mercedes to come up with a $5 part they can get $250 for, especially if it's likely to be lost, misplaced, crushed or dropped.
I've not had any luck in finding a reasonable source for replacements, and yes, eBay fobs seem to be a dead-end. I hope I'm so obviously wrong that it'll flush out someone to make me look stupid. Please, don't throw me in that briar patch.
I've not run across information to swap out the electronics. I'd get two eBay duds so I'd have one to research on before starting into a working fob of solid gold. Er, working key, that is.

Mercedes do some things that are.... well, making the "soulless" Japanese products appear to at least have some regard for human users.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM

You can either buy a couple of keys on E-Bay or some dealers are stocking key housings. The circuit board can be removed & installed in a different housing.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the answers guys - much appreciated. From the second reply, it sounds like it is possible to switch over the electrics into a replacement housing. That said, I'll check with my local dealers first to see if any of them can replace the housing on the current key.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Default swap internals of fob

hi i have just swapped my own internals on a 3 button fob for 53 CLK same as you mine was badly worn , remove the top as if you was changing the battery as you look down to the side of the circuit board is a white clip GENTLY with a small screw driver levering to the center slightly and up and out it comes replace with your internals and GENTLY clip it back in refix battery carrier it took me about 3 mins