General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Remove ignition switch tumblers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Default Remove ignition switch tumblers?

I have a 1984 190E. I ordered new tumblers for the ignition switch because it was getting harder and harder to get the key to work. I figured once Igot the new tumblers, it would make it easier tofigure out how toget the old ones out, but no. Ihave tried everything, and calling the dealer was pretty much usless. They just said it takes a special tool. Does anyone know where Icen get this tool or how I can make a homeade one? It seems as though it is just a small pin withh some special tip. Any info?

Old 09-10-2003, 12:37 AM

<font color="blue">It's more than a small pin with a special tip. That part is easy, a large paper clip will work for that part. You put in the key and turn it to around between position one and two. Slide the staightened paper clip in the slot all the way. You then need the special tool to turn the outer collar around the tumbler. YOu slide out the tumbler and install the new one in the opposite order. You need to have the pin in when installing the new until the collar is in place.</font>

Old 09-10-2003, 12:08 PM

Ok, now, does the pin you put into the hole have to go all the way in and have nothing sticking out so it goes past the face of the keyhole? Or does it stick out past the key? Also, where does the special tool go? In the other hole?

Old 09-12-2003, 01:27 AM

Depends if you have the tumbler with one hole or two. I thought you had the tumbler with one hole, if so then the pin ( paper clip ) goes in about an inch to inch and a half. The tool goes around the outside of the black collar and is used to turn it ( unscrew it ). If you have the tumbler with two holes across from one another then you need another tool instead of the paper clip. it goes into both holes at the same time also about an inch and a half with the key in approx position one. Then the tumbler just comes out with the black collar. Now this tool is stonger then paper clips. Then reverse the pocedure to install.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:40 AM

Thanks! I got it. I have the two hole version and was not using thick enough pins at first. Once I tried two thicker ones, it came right apart. Thanks again.</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 10-12-2003, 11:19 PM

I am having a hard time trying to remove my ignition cylinder lock from my 1990 mercedez 190E. my key no longer works and the ignition is not in the #1 position so I can't try and remove it with the safety pin unless there is another way to get the ignition into the one position. I am having a very hard time getting it off. do you have any suggestions?

Old 10-13-2003, 01:49 AM

I think you are out of luck if the key no longer works. In my case, I had to try over and over again to get the key to work, sometimes taking 5-10 minutes of trying. It would work if I tried long enough, and then I was finally able to use the pins to get the old tumbler out.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Default 1991 190e ignition tumbler

This is an old thread but thought I'd add a few more notes for searchers:

Small diameter wire coathanger works, bent into a tight U shape, for the needed tool. I also found the ends needed to be tapered with a file, and not a long taper but a rather short one. (1/8" or so with the longest point on the outside edge ) You can see on the new tumbler you get ( i got mine on Ebay for about $40.00) how this taper needs to ride over the spring clip as it goes in, without a taper I found it goes underneath and doesn't depress the clip and won't release the tumbler. Now that you have the needed tool:

My 1991 190e has a chrome sleeve around the black barrel which surrounds the tumbler. It just pops off, Do that first.

Also, the black surround on my 190e does not have threads as seen in some other internet photo replacement guides, it just slides on and click into place. The whole assembly goes back in in one piece. Don't make the mistake of putting tumbler or the sleeve in first like I did.. ( whoops- the sleeve was hard to get back out without the tumbler in it. :used the DIY tool again) The pins on my DIY tool went to a depth of under 2" Works fine and a cheap fix.

Last edited by Danno50; 04-25-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added model and year
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I need to ask...
The black cap that surrounds the tumbler won't come off..I made the "U" shaped pin to insert in the tumbler and it does make a clicking sound, as if it does want to come off, but the black that surrounds and keeps the tumbler in place won't budge, it's obvious that this piece is the type that clicks on and it does not "screw" off...how do I get this piece out??

I have a 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6...the 201