General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

OM603 injection pump failure

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Default OM603 injection pump failure

Hello everyone!

I really enjoy reading this forum and would probably continue just reading it if following problem would not happen to me.

I cannot find any info that could help me fix this problem and it looks that I need help from more experienced people. I know there are a lot between this forum members.

I have a w124 sedan with OM603 engine which I got from my father who died from cancer a month ago, so it is important for me to get this car running.

Week ago when I was replacing belt tensioner and fan visco coupler, I decided to fix an oil leak on IP (M type) which was coming from stop lever.
After reading this: . I decided to check O-ring and clean overall mess.
I took off washer with no problems, but when taking off the O-ring I pulled the shaft out off its position. I had no problems to put it back in (at least I thought so ).

When I put back everything, I started the engine and it started to run at very high RPM instantly, I could not stop it with key. The stop lever was in down position, so no hope there too. I tried to move it lower but all it did was lowering the RPM a little bit. I managed to pull off the fuel hose that is right after the small fuel filter to stop it in a garage full of black smoke.

I tried to put this lever in "right" position and it seems that it is in only position that corresponds to angles of right stop lever position and also has some movement in this range. I tested the vacuum stop unit with mityvac and it moves the lever fine. When I turn the key, stop lever does not move upwards before starting the engine. Same situation happened the second time I started engine.

As I understand I may have disconnected this lever from something or loosened some spring, but I cannot find a decent schematic or pictures/video of this IP to understand what really happened and how to fix it.

I remember I did few turns of nut that goes around the shaft by mistake before trying to take of washers, but I screwed it back again and tightened well. Maybe this could be problem.

I would appreciate any information, documentation, suggestions on how to fix, test or deal with this problem.

Best Regards,
Vilnis

Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks ForcedInduction!
Maybe You have some information about how this lever should be attached there?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:20 AM

Thanks. I have been found this picture, but I cannot understand how stop lever connects there. It looks like just hanging there. Could You explain how the 2r is connected to fuel rack?

Old 09-24-2014, 03:36 AM

Last night I found this in:

It turned out that the lower arm of the shutoff cam had gotten on the wrong side of the ip rack (on the right side) . It needs to be on the let side of it so that it can push the rack to the right to shut it off by the action of the emergency lever or the SOV.

How do You think. Is it possible to throw it over the rack without taking off the actuator?
I am just afraid to screw something else.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:06 PM

ForcedInduction, thank You for help.
I have finally put everything together.
Car is working fine now.