General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

not "general" tech - SCCA car build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Default not "general" tech - SCCA car build

Well, i am new to this world of MErcedes benz, i have owned my 300e for about 3months now and i love it. WHen i lived in florida i had a 1989 Honda Prelude Si... far from stock, i knew what to add, but, now i am onto something new. I want to build a 190E, for street and for track. I have been looking into SOLO from the SCCA here in Kansas and i am going to dive in head first. I want to modify a 190E for Solo/Pro races (solo = autocross). I was wondering if anyone has modified a 190E with any motor upgrades, suspension, interior.

Matt

Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Default RE: not "general" tech - SCCA car build

The 190 had a Cosworth engine option in England, full race config'd, get one, it's probably illegal in theUS. I am not familar with autocross modes, have you checked out what you can do. Try www,bekkers.com they have "racing' parts for 190's You will need a frame mounted roll bar for the inside that I am sure of.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM

I was watching a show on TLC called "Top Gear". It is a british record automobile show. The other night they highlighted 2 cars that they felt were sleeper collectibles. Somewhat not noticed now but will be collectible in the future. One of them was the 190E w/ the cosworth engine. They did not mention anything about them being or not being available in the states. They could not say a bad thing about the car and they did talk about it's raceing background also. I'd take one! FYI, the other car was a GTI, don't remember the year, 90's.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM

I watch the show also, there is another UK show Fifth Gear, on SPEEDTV, which also test cars you0ll never see in the states. I am pretty sure the Cosworth 190's weren't available in the US. There was a post a couple of weeks ago, someone posted a full race 190, do a search and perhaps you can contact them for more information. I undertstand that the Williams team will no longer be backed by BMW and will start using Cosworth engines next season in F1

Old 09-14-2005, 09:37 PM

Well, i am going to be doing "STOCK MODIFIED", which means, the motor has to have the same emblem as the car but, it can be larger than stock, can have an aftermarket drive train, after market brakes. Just has to match.
I work at a shop as a mechanic and worked on a 2005 Chrystler 300M a few days ago, had it in the air and was blown away, the 3.5L V6 and the Hemi are all drop in motors and drive trains. With my discount and hook-ups i can get the Hemi for around 5500$ with tranny. I bought a rear end today and rebuilt it for 280$. All i need is a car for it all to go in.

Also - i know i said all has to be matching but, MErcedes owns Chrysler now, one of the techs for the SCCA said since it was a merger i can use anything i want.

MAtt

Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 PM

I own an '86 190E 2.3-16 (Cosworth) that I bought a couple of years ago with the intention of restoring or building an autocross toy. The car has broken timing chain, a poor interior, and needs paint, but does not appear to have ever been wrecked. I don't have time for this project, but it may be a good starting point for you. I live in Atlanta. If you are interested, let me kno and well talk.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Nickspa -
i am very interested, i sent you a PM. HIt me back.

Matt