General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ML 320 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Default ML 320 won't start

The ML is a 2001. The truck justed all of a sudden won't start. Drove it around town all day, with no probelms. The symptoms are as follows:

Battery seems weak, inside dome light was fading out.
Checked the headlights: stayed on for about 10 seconds, then faded away.
Dash board lights were flickering, and the was display was showing "start error"
Tried to jump battery with tow truck, all you can hear is just a click noise
I checked the fuses; all a still good.
Charged the battery, and still won't start. Just the click noise, engine doesn't rotate.
But what seems strange is the noise coming from the fuse / relay box. It sounds like a small fan, and won't turn off. Only when I disconneted the battery the noise went away. Could it be the computer module?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ML 320 won't start

possibly the AAM.

the all activity module controls the power and lighting circuit.

better confirm first if your battery is really defective. maybe the voltage is good, but canoot give proper cranking amps.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Default RE: ML 320 won't start

Hi,

Re: But what seems strange is the noise coming from the fuse / relay box.....Ihe NOISE is a small fan used to keep the computer / relay box cool and can be ON when the ignition is OFF.

You say the headlights just "fade away" to nothing. What happens if you turn ignition OFF and then turn it on again very soon afterwards. Do the lights come back ON or are they still very weak / OFF?

When you hear the "click" where does it come from? The starter motor (down by the gearbox) or from the relay box? Does the engine try to crank over? Have you had the battery checked. maybe its got a dud cell.?

Without the answers to the above questions it's difficult to say whether it is the Battery or as Sleepwalker states.

Stuart

Old 11-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Default radio code not working

I recently had the battery changed, and now the radio won't turn on. I put in the security code number, not accepting code. After three attempts, the radio displays "wait".

Is there another way to retrieve the number or reset with a different code.

thanks

Old 11-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Default RE: radio code not working

Either the code you entered is wrong; or u did not enter correctly.

When I bought my car, the dealer gave me the manual belonged to another car. So I had a wrong radio code. Don't be fixated to the code you have in hand. Go to the parts department and prove them ownership of the car, and they will give you the correct radio code for FREE.

Another possible reason, but unlikely, is that -- the code you entered is wrong because someone had replaced the original radio.

Last cause....u did not enter the code exactly as demanded by the manual.