General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

E320 1998 Cooling Fan/s Operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Default E320 1998 Cooling Fan/s Operation

Questions

1. There are 3 radiator/AC condensor cooling fans. An engine driven temperature sensitive and two different types of electric fans. The electric fan with the large hub is on the drivers side. Question - What conditions cause the electric fans to run and do they operate at a variable speeds.

I am not sure I have a problem. The engine temp appears to be in range, but the fan operation doesn't sound the same. It's my wifes car and I don't want her to get hung up. I would like to know how to check if the engine driven fan clutch is working properly. Also the electric fan on the passendger side doesn't seem to run at all and the electric fan on drivers side when it runs screams, which it didn't seem to do before.

Thank You

Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Default RE: E320 1998 Cooling Fan/s Operation

Ok first off I don't know too much about Mercedes in particular but this is how it usually works on other types of cars...

The fan on the engine is usually a piece of bi-metal that expands with heat (causing the clutch to tighten and the fan spin faster) and contract with less heat. This is for performance reasons because engine fans can really draw power from a motor if they were full on all the time. The only way to test it completely would be to remove it and put it under hot and cold water to watch it move. A quick way though is to drive your car on the freeway for awhile and then stop and look at the fan, as the temperature around the fan heats up it should spin faster. This is all assuming it has a manual clutch, if it is electric then it is problem a coolant sensor that turns it on and off.

The radiator electric fan (the drivers side) turns on with a sensor related to the coolant temperature. This one should be on most the time except for on the freeway. If this fan has gotten noisy just recently it could be getting ready to go out or the internal bearing is dirty, which could eventually lead to it failing as well.

The condensor electric fan (the passenger side) turns on when the a/c compressor is on and/or the oil temperature reaches a certain point.

So I hope this helps but remember this may not all be true of your car but hopefully gives you a good idea of what is wrong. Good luck!