General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Dying battery??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Default Dying battery??

Hoping for advice which will keep me away from the high finance boys at the main dealer.....my 1999 230 SLK started making a wailing noise which I traced to the alarm sounder under the bonnet when the engine is switched off. The car still has its original factory fitted battery so I'm thinking that it may be a sign of a dying battery?? Hopefully not a job for the main dealer!! The remote still seems to operate the central locing ok, but the sounder makes the whiny/waily noise instead of the usual "tweet-tweet" noise. I disconnected the battery tonight because it was so loud and high pitched I thought the neighbours would complain!! Advice appreciated...
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Dying battery??

make sure that in the trunk the pse pump did not get wet , those sirens go bad

Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Where in the trunk is the PSE pump? Could it be a problem with the PSE circuit board perhaps, do you think, or is this unlikely?

[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 AM

The siren has an internal battery on some models of SLK. Not sure what happens when this runs down/goes dead.

The internal battery kicks in if somebody tries to remove the wiring from the siren.

The PSE (situated RHS under boot floor to right of spare wheel) is often the cause of Alarm problems since the PSE controls Security in addition to other functions, bulb warning, door locks, interior light...is this working correctly on Automatic?

Good luck.

Stuart.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Checked battery, its absolutely sound. PSE unit was replaced about 6 months back when the central locking failed. Its working correctly since replacement. Fault traced today by main dealership to a faulty siren - but they tell me that Mercedes no longer stocks the discontinued MBSS Siren replacement!! Its disconnected and the alarm/immobiliser still works correctly but without the siren......I'm trawling around for a replacement siren, if anyone knows where one can be found please do tell!!! Are faulty ones fixable by an electronics shop perhaps??
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 AM

So if your siren has a battery (you checked it) how did you:-

1. Stop the siren going when it was disconnected?
2. I THOUGHT the casing was so designed that access to the internal battery was not possible without special tools...otherwise a thief would just remove the battery.

I'm surprised that MB can't get a replacement although you may have to wait while one arrives from Germany (Hella?) or whereever.

Stuart

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Hi, no I had the VEHICLE battery checked under load etc. The siren, if it has a battery, is a sealed unit as you say and Mercedes here certainly are not aware of it nor do they have tools for it. The main dealer says it is discontinued and there is no stock available here or from Mercedes anywhere unless I can locate one at a breakers. These alarms were never manufactured by Mercedes but as was standard practice at the time, were factory approved and supported for some years thereafter. The car is 9 years old this year, so I suppose the support for some things ends sometime!

Mercedes disconnected the siren which is now silent.
[align=left] [/align]