General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Clk Rear Headrest pop up reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Default Clk Rear Headrest pop up reset

Does anyone know how to reset the Rear pop up headrests on a 2006 CLK convertible or is this something only for service agents?
I drove over a speed ramp only to find a trough the shock triggered the safety pop up on the headrests.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM

you have a tool in your car to reset them. there are tons of posts on here how to do it. you can do it yourself too. on the side of the headrests there are small 1 inch stitch marks on the left side of both headrests, put the tool or something similar right at the stitch marks and go straight downward beside the headrests and there is only about a half inch oval hole to put the tool into..but youll feel a button or lever that is spring loaded as you push down on it. as you push it down and hold it down..push the one headrest down using your whole arm/ elbow to push the headrest down. make sure its fully pushed down then release the button anf then let go of the headrest. then do the same with the other side.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Default Thanks for your Help

My wife took the car to our local dealer in Milton Keynes (UK) and asked them to reset the headrests whilst the car had it's 23k service my wife was later that day told they would need the car for 1-2 days to disassemble the headrest mechanism. I wondered how hard they had tried so I thought I would try myself, I took the tool looks a bit like a large allen key. I found the stitching mark on the right hand side of the headrest as you look whilst kneeling on the rear seats. I put the long part of the tool down the side of the of the headrest and felt around until I came across a soft metal spring I pushed this down probably half an inch at the same time my son pushed the headrest back down to it's usual position repeated on the other side with no problem. I am disappointed in the Dealer looks like profiteering to me.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:36 PM

wow thats pretty bad for a dealer to say that. we push down headrests all the time for customers free of charge numerous times a week. the service advisor might not be familiar with the car and might not know any better....giving them the benefit of the doubt. you might want to call and talk to the service manager because that is unacceptable in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM

I think when you buy a Merc you are buying more than a car you are buying into the Marque. My wife was told the mech needed stripping down and may need a new 'Control unit'
My wife challenged the Service Manager and was told that they would have picked it up before stripping the mech down.
Not sure I can give them the benefit of the doubt.
I am looking for a new motor, considering a Bentley Continental, Jaguar XKR, Mercedes E63. This type of thing does not help with customer relations!!
Your attitude is far more likely to result in more sales.
Wish You Were Here.