General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Alarm won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Default Alarm won't shut off

I recently purchased what looks like a mint 1986 420SEL with only 76,500 Original miles one owner - a NY-FL snowbird was the original owner. Last night when I unlocked the car and started it, the alarm went off and no matter what I tried to do the darn thing wouldn't shut off.

I called the Roadside assistance number and they suggested to remove the fuse as a temporary fix, which I did and that cured the alarm going off.

What I would like to know has anyone else experienced this condition? If so what did you find as the root problem? Before taking it to a trained mechanic or the dealership I would like to see if anyone can offer some suggestions.

The only other thing that I would like to point out is the Anti-lock idiot light is lit on the dash, could the two thing be tied together somehow?

This car is immaculate and the previous owner supplied a folder of every repair slip ever performed on the car, it has been Mercedes only repaired for 20 years.

Help.

Thanks,

Old 11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Default RE: Alarm won't shut off

I would try holding your key in the unlock position extra long. My 1986 190e has a problem similar to yours except mine is when I lock the doors. If I don't hold the key turned in the lock extra length of time not all locks will click down and the car will go into alarm after a few minutes. I think that one of the locks, possibly the trunk, is only going down part way and then it pops back up setting the alarm off. Opening the door with the key turns it off.
For whatever it was worth.
Jim