General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Best Synthetic Oil Brand??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Default Best Synthetic Oil Brand??

Does anyoneknow where I can findinformation on who makes the best performing synthetic oils? I have seen independent test results in the past but can't really find anything good now. I know there is a big Mobil1 sticker under the hood, but just wanted to see if anyone had experience or information on something potentially even better.
Thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Default RE: Best Synthetic Oil Brand??

Put mobil one in it! Especially if you go the entire fss service which is 10-13k miles and ONLY USE THE OEM MERCEDES FILTER! I have seen a couple engines destroyed because of the oil filters coming apart in pieces. My only other recommendation would be castrol synthetic which is what bmw likes. Others will result in heavy oil sludging, lifter failure, etc. MOBIL 1, USE IT!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM

I will definitley use an MB filter. It's ironic that Amsoil and Royal Purple advertise extensively on this site. I have always heard good things with Amsoil but don't know Royal Purple. Anyhow, I use Mobil1 in my bike and will most likely be putting it in the Benz as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 PM

All good oil above with Amsoil probely being $$. I've been running Walmarts synthetic with good results, but I do add a quart of rotella oil to inssure I have the shear strengh for the diesel. Mobile one does not have the shear strengh a diesel puts on it from high compression, but it is compatible with regular/rotella oil. My oil gets tested twice a year which will show what is wearing[ Thanks to a friend that does that for a living] One thing I do advise if your running extended times is still change the filter and top off with new. According to some tests one fresh quart adds all of the needed additives to bring the oil up to requirements, and additives to lower volcosities below 15 to 5w-30w wear out quicker. With synthetic's theres no need to buy any thing lower than 15w