General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

BAS/ESP warning light on SLK

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Default BAS/ESP warning light on SLK

The BAS/ESP warning light on my SLK stays on. The brake lights and brake control of gear selection work, so presumably the brake switch is working. I have tried left to right lock and repeated this but the light still stays on. ABS warning light switches off as normal. Any suggestions?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Default RE: BAS/ESP warning light on SLK

When did problem start?
Are you a new owner of this car?
Vehicle details, mileage, history?
On standard wheels and tyres?

Get ECU scanned for diagnostic codes.
Stuart

Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM

It is a 230, 30k miles and standard wheels & tyres. Changed the battery, so it probably needs re-setting.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Hi Ian,
I'm interested in this one although I don't really have any way forward. I waited to see if anybody else replied.
ABS and BAS are two systems that to some extent overlap so I am baffled why one is OK and the other not.
I still suspect that it has something to do with the BAS sensing system which determines WHEN you need emergency braking pressure. Not sure exactly how this is achieved.
My suggestion is to get the diagnostics scanned. This will give a code which will point you (us) in the correct direction.
Stuart

Old 01-21-2008, 05:32 AM

I will get my local MB workshop to look at it and let you know what happens.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

hi,i work in garage ,we have a s32o cdi ,2005,abs light,esp,bas,and brale lights stays on,after scanning we changed a brake light swich ,the brake lights,and abs still stays on and on the sccaner shows faulty brake light swich ,and it dosnt clear it ,any body come a cross with same problem?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Banned

Sounds like a brake light switch (99% of the time) or it could be a steering angle sensor (figure the percentage) lol!

-mar-

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM

changed a brake light swich but still the same,the scanners life data shows the brake swich comes on when i apply the brake,but the rear brake lights,abs,eps,abs stays on.any idea what could trigger the lights?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

I believe there are two plugs that plugs in to the brake light switch...make sure both is plugged in.

-mar-

Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Default esp bas abs lights

I had this happen to me and thought it was my brake light switch. I ended up having a couple of incorrect tail light bulbs which was causing a bulb malfunction light to come on. I had just bought the car. I unplugged the brake light switch and plugged it back up. This cleared the abs, bas, and esp lights out. If there had been a real problem with these systems, they would have more than likely come back on the within seconds.

Quick Reply: BAS/ESP warning light on SLK