General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

98 SL 500 radio code reset

Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Default 98 SL 500 radio code reset

Hello---

I just picked up a '98 SL500 yeterday from an Upsate (NY) dealer. The radio code needs to be reset. I have the code (that the dealer gave me) but it will not take. If I enter the code and hit "tune" it goes into "WAIT" mode for an hour or so and then fails.

Hopefully there is a simple solution.

Can anyone help???

Thanks,

Tom

Old 02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Default RE: 98 SL 500 radio code reset

The wait mode occurs when the wrong code is entered too many times. You can try disconnecting all the fuses forthe radio system, or disconnect battery, then retry entering the code. The radio secuirty code provided to you could be wrong. If all attempts fail, the last resort is remove radio head from dash and the code should be on a label on the radio, as I know it. If the car has the original/first owner manuals, the radio code should be somewhere with the manuals also.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanks Bill,

The Car came with no manuals.

I'll try disconnecting the battery and thenre-entering the code.

Do I need to hit "tune" after entering the code?

Thanks again,

Tom

Old 02-18-2007, 01:14 PM

tomtomterrific,
If the dealer you got the car from was an MB dealer, call them back to verify the code as it's obviously not working. If you got the car from another dealer, non-MB, call your closest MB dealer, give them your VIN#, and they should give you the code over the phone. You may have to fax a copy of proof of ownership for the dealer to release the code over the phone. I personallywould be reluctant to pull the radio or play with the electronics until the accuracy of the number is verified. This check with the Dealer will confirm whether you've got the right code, or the original radio was replaced, etc. Should it turn out that the radio is notoriginal equipment based on your VIN, then pulling the unit as suggestedmay be your only option.
On the manuals, you can call MBUSA at 1-800-FOR-MERC, and order an Owners Manual for your car for about $20. Depending on how deep you want to get into the mechanics/operating systems of your car, consider buying the 129 Service and Maintenance DVD, it's excellent and contains an electronic copy of the Owners Manual; costs around $75 +/-. Have fun with your new ride!

Bob

Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks Bob,

It was a Non MB Dealer and perhaps he did give me the wrong code. I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting it did not take. I'll contact a MB as you suggested. Thanks for the tips on the manuals too.

Tom

Old 02-19-2007, 08:17 AM

On my MB, after battery disconnect, when you turn on the radio power switch, it prompts for the code. Entering correct code, the radio then starts working with no other buttons to push. I found it easy to enter the code too quickly or in wrong sequence if not paying attention as my #s have a 0 in the code. Sometime the buttons are sticky if you have not used the radio station reset buttons often. On my original manuals set, it has a Becker code card in the plastic cover. I replaced the head unit (original/factory head unit was just fine) a couple years a go when I bought a complete used radio set off eBay from another MB car, and the head unit came with the buy. Both my original radio head unit and the used radio unit had the radio code on a label on the head unit. The Radio unit is a 5 minute removal and re-install job, very easy if you have the special two radio removal tools (two small, thinmetal key like items you insert on each side on the head unit and then just pull the unit out of the dash). I got my removal keys/tools from eBay, but I understand MB dealers have also for sell. Let us know what happens.
Thanks.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks!

I called a local MB Dealer and they gave me the same code. I'msure I've followed the procedure properly at this point so I guess it's time to remove the unit. I'm glad to hear it's a(relatively) easy task. I'll try to obtain thespecial tool(s) and I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 AM

Bill,

Can you provide instructions on howto remove the radio? I'm fairly adept at this having done many over the years, but some pointers on the SL500 might be helpful.

Thanks again,

Tom

Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 PM

If you will remove a radio tape recorder and will give me serial number of a radio tape recorder in formatBE21... 0000000000I shall give you a code for your radio tape recorder!!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Bill-Bob,
Mission accomplished! I got the tools, removed the unit, gave the serial number to the MB dealer for the right code, and everything works great! Thanks for the help! I ordered the owners manual too.
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 SL 500 radio code reset