General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

"No CD Changer" and "Check Engine Issues"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Default "No CD Changer" and "Check Engine Issues"

Hello,

I've had my 1999 E 300 diesel for almost eight years, but now I am having headaches.

First, for the last three years (but before that, it worked flawlessly), my factory installed 6 disc changer has been working on and off. I usually get "no cd changer." When it does work, it works until there is something hard on the road such as mild pothole and it says "no cd changer." The last time it worked was for around an hour before there was something on the road.

Also, there is a "check engine" display. I'm not sure with this. Could there be something wrong with the fuel injection although everything seems to be operating fine.

Any suggestions would be a great help.

anyway, the CD changer still powers on and I can still remove the CD cassette.

Just recently, it started to work again after I used an air blower and ran it throug the cd changer.

It was working for another 2 hours and then "No Changer" appeared again. I am thinking the fiberoptic connector must be dirty or the the cable itself. Is there a proper way to clean the connector of the fiberoptic wires leading to CD changer. There's nothing wrong with the power itself . . and I think I have narrowed it down to either the cable being kinked or most likely reason dirty fiberoptic connector.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Do you think that there is a loose connection somewhere on the fiberoptics and if so what would I have to disassemble. I'm pretty convinced it's a loose connection unless someone has a better idea . . . perhaps an easier solution.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Default RE: "No CD Changer" and "Check Engine Issues"

For CD changer, I agree with your judgement. Please be note: the fiber cable cannot be bent less than 25mm( I mean the minmum radius), otherwise no signal can be transfered .On the other hand, some open circuit inside the CD changer.
For engine, it's better you can check it by DAS.