General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

A 1978 Mercedes Benz 240D is available

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Default A 1978 Mercedes Benz 240D is available

WILL I OWN IT??/ How I hope so its my "speed" tired looking! Body has sad rust side swipe SCRATCH DENT in rear driver quarter panel mouldings missing from the doors Its last inspection was 1999 "extended to 2000 WAS THAT the last time it was on the road i6 yrs??? Tires are inflated there WAS grass on the tires. It WAS driven to where it sits for sale. When I at last topped wrote the phone number AND PHONED I w as sure I'd here at least 5,000.00 BUT I WAS TOLD asking 800.00!! Again my speed! How many will tell me forget it how many will encourage me??!! WOULD LOVE a diesel powerd car AND its old legally antique. It would N O T be a daily driver. FINALLY I AT LAST figured out how to make my first post / thread THANK YOU to the member who instructed me, it still took me a while. PLEASE CALL "BRI" T H A N K Y O U!!!!!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:40 PM

Hello Brian, Many years ago I made a mistake. I bought a sad 1958 diesel for $50.00
It was tired, scratched, smoked, with bald tires and poor brakes. It was only 17 years old then, and yes I was 17. It was slow, we had to push start it, and diesel fuel was only available at truck stops. It came with a 4 forward speed gear shifter, and the seats were leather. Hindsight being 20/20 its long gone, but I sold it to someone for $125 and a case of beer. The beer was crap, I spent the money on a newer car, and I deeply regret not learning to fix that old red diesel. Heads up, I bought a sad 1985 220 D two weeks ago, and a crashed 1989 300 Turbo from the crushing yard I drove the 85 home , and trailered the wreck The 85 wont shift into high gear. The wreck has a quality rebuilt engine and transmission. Plus many other expensive parts. My cost for both including a 300 mile Greyhound trip was Less than $500. Careful on that price, shop hard and if you need advice please ask. I learned to work on old cars and drove my brothers new Jeep last weekend. It looks pretty,but will be horribly expensive to work on. Its a hot rod with no class. My opinion is " your speed " is shared by a few of us. I am glad you joined, Allan

Old 08-06-2016, 05:17 PM

WOW Interesting replies I recieved: forced induction recommends I AVOID old cars but they are all I have ever owned driven worked on I CAN all due respects daemdaem are you simply sharing your motoring histroy with me OR are you discouraging me??? I realise there are pro and cons I am reminded there are pro and cons. ONE frustration is "why did the sellar put the car for sale but not be available for 3 weeks, "away over seas for business!!!! Hopefully this coming week he'll return I can get a decision made!!! ALSO sadly regretfully "I drive OLD cars" this computor of mine 6 a good 10 yrs old. this forum freeezes it up I HOPE I can "stick around stay here!!!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Default follow up the same 1978 240D

Hi hi and hello everybody again, I will break down and inquire. possibly clear a frustration maybe: 1. diesel engines are supposed to be so much stronger ironically I also hear that a diesel powerd car IS SO much slower. it or they will eventually achieve 60 70 miles per hour and so on. A diesel engine is so much more powerful powerful engines REALLY push a car then why do these 4 cylinder diesels why are little four cylinder diesels so...."slow"? Taking off at a stop sign or light is not a demand for me JUST GETTING THERE IS but curious THANK YOU!!!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:11 PM

My 85D turbo, is like winding a rubber band, but I am sure it needs the valves adjusted. Going by service records100,000 mi and has not been adjusted. But I just love these old cars.