General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

02 Clk430 goes into drive rough-wont shift out of first...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Default 02 Clk430 goes into drive rough-wont shift out of first...

My 02 Clk 430 (73k miles) just started this over the weekend- Need help! When I started it and put it into drive I noticed a weird rough thud, then i went back to park and repeated; I got the thud again, so I decided to see how it would drive. It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Then I pulled into a parking lot, turned it off and restarted the engine. Everything was normal and the vehicle drove fine, so I took it home and parked it. The next day I started it again to see if this was a freak incident; when I put it into drive I got the same thud and same problem. I repeated the kill process and after restarting the vehicle it was fine again. I decided to park it and get back into myhonda accord! Please help...This has been a great vehicle until now-No problems at all; runs terrific, but had developed a really slight shiver when idling in drive,soI figured it was time to get new plugs etc. I had planned to get service done, but this transmission issue happened so now I'm really nervous ...How much will this cost me?Any ideas?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Default RE: 02 Clk430 goes into drive rough-wont shift out of first...

It sounds like you might have a bad trans mount. Check out all of your engine mounts as well to make sure they're still good.

As for how much it will cost, that really depends on which mount is bad.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Hello Your problem is most likely one or the other:
1. Your shifter module or shifter assembly it self is faulty ....did you spill anything into the shifter?? very common.

2. your electrical plate or called a conductor plate in the valve body of the transmission gets fine metal particals on the trans speed sensor then it has a hard time telling what gear the car is in and will give you a hard bang into gear which is most likely 2nd gear not 1st gear. this is a limp home mode so you can still drive the car at enough speed to get it to a shop. yes, your right it wont shift either.... sometimes after an ignition cycle of the key it will be ok but it will come back again.

3. on some occasions the transmission electrical connector leaks alot
then trans fluid goes up the harness and then into the trans control unit which can cause similar problems.

If you have a gear display in the instument cluster does it display what gear you are in?
you need to get the car to a dealer to hook up the SDS machine to check the actual values of the shifter assembly to see if the shifter sees the correct gear. and also if the problem is the conductor plate there are usually codes in the system for transmission temp sensor and speed sensor which help pinpoint the issue to the conductor plate in the valve body.Good luck JIM

Old 09-18-2008, 01:09 PM

I am experiencing the exact same thing as rj304949n
I took it to an MB mechanic and he told me that i need to change the conductor plate. But I'm a little skeptical and wonder if it is just the electrical connector.
He is charging me for a scan but told me that so many errors came up that he thinks I need a new battery (which i believe I do) for the scan to mean anything.

Should I make him scan it again? after changing the battery? Each scan is 92 dollars
His estimate costs w/labor:
620 = conductor plate and transmission fluid/filter service
170 = Battery replacement
92 = SDS scan

Is this connector leaking /conductor plate problem a manufacturer fault?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Default please help Ive done everything and still in limp mode

Hi I have an 02 CLK430 stuck in limp mode. I just had the transmission rebuild, changed the conductor plate and still the car is in limp mode. My mechanic checked all the fuses and everything seems to be ok. What can cause this?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM

shifter assembly very common or transfluid getting into the trans control unit