Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, lighting effects and other exterior mods here.

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Default Windshield Replacement

Hello:

Well, this morning I was greeted with a crack working it's way up my windshield. There is a strike point where either a rock hit yesterday (which I would think I would remember) or where some vandel decided to try his pitching arm.

My question is: Is there is significant reason to have a windshield replaced at the dealer rather then an independent facility?

At the dealer you are assured to get genuine MB parts. However, are there any tech issues or reasons I should know about?

Splotto

Old 03-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Default RE: Windshield Replacement

I have been told, to only have the dealer replace a Mercedes windshield, because of fitment issues, the tolerance are quite "tight" and the windshield itself could have electronic in it according to the year. I know one person with a 95 E Class that took his to a windshield shop, a reputable one at that. He had leaks, the windshield worked loose. In Mass where I live windshields are replaced as a no fault item, that is whatever it cost it cost, but the insurance companies try and steer you to their installer's under the mask of not being able to guarantee other then their installer's work. A bunch of BS and not legal in Mass. You can take it anyplace you want. Also, in Mass a replaced windshield has no effect of your insurance rate.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: C280 wizard

I have been told, to only have the dealer replace a Mercedes windshield, because of fitment issues, the tolerance are quite "tight" and the windshield itself could have electronic in it according to the year. I know one person with a 95 E Class that took his to a windshield shop, a reputable one at that. He had leaks, the windshield worked loose. In Mass where I live windshields are replaced as a no fault item, that is whatever it cost it cost, but the insurance companies try and steer you to their installer's under the mask of not being able to guarantee other then their installer's work. A bunch of BS and not legal in Mass. You can take it anyplace you want. Also, in Mass a replaced windshield has no effect of your insurance rate.
I am certainly leaning toward going to the dealer. Thanks for the advice.

Splotto

Old 03-12-2005, 04:00 PM

When I had a policy in MA, the windshield was covered under the "comprehensive" portion of my policy. I think that's what you mean, since "no-fault" refers to how a policy complies with a state's "collision" coverage requirements. That is, it's not a collision if a rock hits your windshield. It's the same in any state, even no-fault states.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 AM

windshield repair for your automobile. Whether your personal vehicle is in need of auto glass repair or replacement, or a business vehicle is in need of auto glass repair or replacement, we give you the ability to search for and compare the best deals from the leaders in the industry to remedy your auto glass chip, crack, or break. auto glass ny