Performance Filters - Page 2 - Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Thats why the ISO 5011 test was developed.
http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_det...csnumber=29006
What I meant is that I can easily go to the WIX Filter site and get Micron level Filtration on specific Oil Filters from the spec the give.
For Air Filters the site gives dimensions and Cubic Feet Perminute but no Micron level of filtration.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

I took a quick look at the site. I did not see any easy way to look up let us say the Filter for my Mercedes.
It also looks like you might have to pay for some of the info.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM

My Porsche mechanic showed me a 911 intake that had been using a K&N filter to illustrate why NOT to use them. It was loaded with fine dust and grit. The intake on the car next to it with a stock paper filter was perfectly clean.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Pretty grim report for K&N, I always knew I didn't like them, now I know why. I was always too cheap to buy one just to tear it apart and see what makes it "tick". It seems to me if you want to increase volumetric efficiency you would need to start by installing a larger filter, space dosen't always permit. For normal driving conditions why would you want to do any of that. All you need is the ability to safely achieve and maintain the legal speed limit, economy comes from the weight of the foot on the accelerator pedal, assuming the engine is properly tuned.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 AM

Default K&N Air Filter

I have a 1998 E320 with 111k miles on it. I've just replaced all 12 spark plugs and the original Mercedes air filter to K&N air filter. I do notice the difference when using the original Mercedes air filter, the engine seems like wanting more air, but not able to. With K&N, it seems more air flow to the engine. I do pray that it will not bust my air sensor.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

The air sensor is not the problem, K&N filters like crap from the very large pores and they plug up very quickly from the very small surface area. As a result, a K&N is as effective at keeping dust out of your engine as a screen door is at keeping dust out of your house. It only takes 7 grams of dirt to permanently damage an engine.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

Put the factory air filter back in asap and get a refund on that K&N.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM

I hope you are not pulling my leg, because I am been told with different stories about how good the K&N air filter performs. I have placed back the original and thanks for the link.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goode2R View Post
I am been told with different stories about how good the K&N air filter performs.
Sure it performs great, K&N's poor filtration allows more air to be pulled into the engine. But as you can see by the link, that great flow only lasts a short time until it becomes even more restrictive than a good-filtering paper filter. And even when the K&N is plugged and restricted, it still lets through more dirt than a paper filter.

Thats because the gauze its made of doesn't filter out dust and dirt, it only screens out fairly large chunks. The oil is what does the work. But anything with mass thats smaller than the holes will easily get pulled out of the oil by the airflow, and anything heavier than dust will have enough momentum to pass right through the oil. If you hold up that K&N to your face, you can actually see through it because the holes are so large!

Air filter designs are a balance of restriction to flow, filtration quality and size (surface area). ALL filters will have measurable restriction unless its very oversized or very poor filtering. The question is, is that extra 5hp at the very top of the RPM range that you use only a small amount of time really worth allowing more dirt into your engine all of the time?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:51 PM

Default K&N Filters

The K&N filter probably do improve performance a tad. This performance would come while you destroy your engine in my opinion. The K&N filters do not remove anywhere near what a good Brand of filter does. This is especially true when they are not maintained properly.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Lets take a look at a 99 E300.

K&N $47.50 after rebate.
But you will also need a "recharge" kit. $19
Total: $66.50

Proper filter $14.75

Both claim to last 50k miles.
The K&N you have remove it, clean it, oil it and reinstall it. About 1 hour.
The proper paper filter you pull the old, toss it, install new. 15 minutes.
That means it will take you 225k miles to break even in cost, it will take 18x longer maintenance time, the K&N is letting more dirt into your engine 100% of the time, and the K&N is not increasing performance at all 99% of the time you are driving.