Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

Om617- oil not draining from turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Default Om617- oil not draining from turbo

I have searched and searched. I have an '82 300cd that I have about had it with. Anyway. New turbo install (garret reman from xsboost.com). The old one had a lot of play, free wheeled, leaked, all kinds of problems. The motor has 260k supposedly and some blow-by via kettle oil cap test. Compression is good believe it or not. Lowest reading was 440 highest was 460. Alright, new turbo installed with new gaskets, turbo drain tube wasn't or isn't leaking and is clear or all obstructions and debris, so I didn't mess with it. I did pour oil into it when the turbo and manifolds were off to verify no leaks or blockage... Good to go, right???

Everything is bolted up, ready to roll. Primed turbo (fed some into the inlet, cold cranked for around 10 seconds, fired and idled for 15 minutes.) I was putting tools up and finishing my beverage when I noticed blue smoke and figured it was crap still trapped in the exhaust so I shrugged it off. Let her idle a little longer and still smoke. Not as heavy with the blown turbo but still evident.

Took the car for a quick felony ride around the block. Drove it moderate to hard for the most part to "blow crap" out of her. Got it home and noticed oil everywhere!!!! I popped the flex pipe off and yep there is new oil in it... A lot... Again...

Is it possible that blow by can prevent the oil drain tube to function?? Air upwards can stop fluid downward? Yes the oil level is dead on center of the two notches on the dipstick, breather on valve cover is going to intake pre turbo.

I am desperate for help as she is my daily driver right this minute. If anyone around greenville sc could help me, drinks on me!!! Any tips?

P.s. I also live in an apartment so no I don't have compressed air here, not supposed to even work on cars here, but I give them money so I do what I have to!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Do you have oil on the intake side of the turbo?? ie; oil coming from the engine blowby tube?

liteweight