Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (http://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Performance (http://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-performance-49/)
-   -   om617 to jeep swap (http://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-performance-49/om617-jeep-swap-53620/)

BenDiesel 07-24-2013 03:52 PM

om617 to jeep swap

Hi all I picked up a 81 300sd for the engine. The car had trans problems an few miner other problem. Almost a shame what I did but oh well lol.

So while I have the engine out I was wondering if there was some preventive maintance stuff I could do to make this swap last longer while in the jeep.

I have read bout moving the oil filter housing gonna remote location. Is there any reason to keep the stock filter housing over say a aftermarket type remote dual canister type?

Any one have the pin out for the tach sensor on the front of the engine?

I'm looking to increase low end performance a little. After driving the 300 and having to wait for the turbo to spool before it gets going isn't good while on the trail and trying to crawl over obstacles. With the stock IP what rpm dose the sprinter gt build boost at? I prob use force inductions turbo controller for it.

I have more questions but can't think of them now

Thanks

ForcedInduction 07-25-2013 07:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

So while I have the engine out I was wondering if there was some preventive maintenance stuff I could do to make this swap last longer while in the jeep.
Valve adjustment, cam timing adjustment, inspect the vacuum pump bearings, replace the plastic oil pump pickup tube, replace the water pump bypass hose.

Quote:

I have read bout moving the oil filter housing gonna remote location. Is there any reason to keep the stock filter housing over say a aftermarket type remote dual canister type?
Built in thermostat, built in cooler connections, more compact.

Quote:

Any one have the pin out for the tach sensor on the front of the engine?
Its a simple magnetic core sensor with shielded cable. Much like an ABS sensor. Schematic is attached.

Quote:

With the stock IP what rpm dose the sprinter gt build boost at? I prob use force inductions turbo controller for it.
Immediately. It will even build boost just revving in neutral.
Altitude is important with that turbo though, if you plan to go anywhere above 2500ft elevation that turbo will have compressor surge issues until 2000rpm.
If you have a manual transmission in your Jeep, you will have to be careful to keep rpms above 1600 to prevent compressor surge that will damage the thrust bearing.

BenDiesel 07-25-2013 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ya most of my wheeling is in the mountains. But with low range I shouldn't have a problem with keeping the rpms up. Its also a auto.

What turbo do I have stock? I'm guessing a k26?
Stock IP is the m-pump right?
Was the rated amps on the alt? What dose it need for a volt reg ?
Any one know the GPM on the stock PS pump? Looking to hyd assistance for steering.
Did mb ever put a York style ac compressor on the om617?

Thanks some more

ForcedInduction 07-26-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenDiesel (Post 163766)
What turbo do I have stock? I'm guessing a k26?

If the wastegate is pointing forward, Garrett T3.
If its pointing out to the side, KKK K26.

Quote:

Stock IP is the m-pump right?
MW.

Quote:

Was the rated amps on the alt? What dose it need for a volt reg ?
55 amps. It should charge at 13.8 volts.
Two charge output and one field terminal. Internal regulator.

Quote:

Any one know the GPM on the stock PS pump? Looking to hyd assistance for steering.
Its a double pumping vane pump with either 65bar or 82bar relief. Made more for pressure than flow.

Quote:

Did mb ever put a York style ac compressor on the om617?
Only on non-turbo engines before 1981. It is incompatible with turbo engines because the bracket will occupy the same area as the turbo compressor housing.

BenDiesel 07-26-2013 03:54 PM

OK I have the k26. Its seems to be in good condition, not much shaft play.
Why dose every one swap to the m pump?
Do you know of any way to fit a York to a turbo engine?
Was there any 100 amp alts or should I modify the brackets for a gm 1 wire?
Is there a noob guide?

BenDiesel 07-26-2013 07:02 PM

The engine has just under 200k. How often dose the time chain need to be replaced? how do i adjust for strech? is there a metal oil pick up tube?

ForcedInduction 07-27-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenDiesel (Post 163782)
Why dose every one swap to the m pump?

Larger elements are available. The MW pump has 10mm elements available from Bosch but that is about 4x the fuel a 3.0L diesel could ever use and they are not designed for high RPM car engines.

Quote:

Do you know of any way to fit a York to a turbo engine?
None. Yorks are ancient technology, thats why they are only used for air compressors on Jeeps! You're better off getting an electric pump.

Quote:

Was there any 100 amp alts
AL124X = 80 amps, very common in nearly every Saab 900 found in pick-n-pull junkyards, I use one on my 240D.
AL129X = 115 amps

Both are almost bolt-in with just a pulley swap. If you retain the factory AC lines you will have to rotate the body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenDiesel (Post 163784)
How often dose the time chain need to be replaced?

Never unless there is a mechanical defect or excessive wear is measured. With proper oil changes (especially using synthetic oil) the chain will last the life of the engine.

Quote:

how do i adjust for strech?
Elongation.
There are offset cam keys available (degrees listed are half the actual crank degrees because of the 2:1 drive ratio, so a 1.5degree key will actually be 3, etc) and the injection pump is movable.

Quote:

is there a metal oil pick up tube?
Its not possible. The lower oil pan is designed as stamped sheet metal instead of cast aluminum to absorb road debris impacts and parking block scrapes. If it had a metal pickup tube it would shatter and starve the engine of oil.

BenDiesel 07-27-2013 03:58 AM

How do you measure the elongation on the chain? Where to find the keys and how do you determine how much you need?
What had the m pumps? And were to find bigger elements. How bout bigger injectors?
Good place to find the parts?
How to check the vac pump?
Any way to swap to a rear sump pan?
Worth then effort to swap to serp belt?

Thanks for answering my questions. I done lots of googling and not every thing I have read has been clear. :)

ForcedInduction 07-27-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenDiesel (Post 163794)
How do you measure the elongation on the chain?

Align the cam sprocket mark on the back with the thrust bearing mark and look at the crank pulley degree mark. 3-6* after zero is normal, anything more than 10* is excessive.
Adjust with a new offset cam key as close to zero as possible but none before.

Quote:

Where to find the keys and how do you determine how much you need?
Mercedes sells them along with most online retailers like Autohaus AZ. You can measure before, but they are cheap enough to consider getting several options.

Quote:

What had the m pumps?
Only non-turbo models sold outside the USA. Later aluminum head diesels do not have a compatible pump.

Quote:

And were to find bigger elements.
Myna-Diesel in Finland.

Quote:

How bout bigger injectors?
Injectors are not a restriction in indirect injection diesels.

Quote:

Good place to find the parts?
Autohaus AZ and self-service junkyards.

Quote:

How to check the vac pump?
It should produce at least 18InHg measured at the main line. The lever bearing cage should be intact and secure.

Quote:

Any way to swap to a rear sump pan?
Not possible. The oil pump extends into the lower oil pan.

Quote:

Worth then effort to swap to serp belt?
Zero benefits over V-belts.

BenDiesel 07-27-2013 09:56 PM

got the bolt pattern for the motor mount?
the front of the engine is covered in oil. which gaskets leak the most?