Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

Intro/Which engine to choose question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Default Intro/Which engine to choose question

Hey guys, I was registered here under a different name and never posted much..

I had an old 240 that I never could get going, ended up parting her.

Anyways, I have had a 1978 bmw 635csi for about 4 years and am in LOVE with that car... of course Im not excited about the engine.

I live the idea of engine swaps, right now Im finishing up a vw 1.9td into a suzuki samurai, this gave me the diesel bug..

Bmw as far as I know doesnt have many diesel enthusiasts, not like MB. Im entertaining the idea of putting a turbo diesel into the old six and am curious of which would be the best.

Im a college kid with an addiction to speed so a big budget is not something Im endowed with. Id also like to shoot for something that could get to the 300hp 400tq range easily (not too much serious engine work).

I read a bit about the om606 and it seemed like a good prospect but I couldnt find one for sale.

Anyways, help is appreciated AND: Pic for enjoyment.

Name:  004-29.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  209.8 KB

-Webb

Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 PM

Wow 162 views?! Alot of traffic and yet no one flaming me for not searching or something.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 AM

I did read the wiki on it. Did a little searching it is a domestic engine as well right? I know bmw has engines that exist on both sides of the pond but are very different animals is that the case with the 606?

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM

So I asked my BMW tech friend about them (606) and he had only good things to say except for the electronic IP. Saying IF it ever went out it would be big bucks. So my question is would it be reasonable to put a mechanical pump from another merc diesel on this block or are they all too different. If not would the earlier 603 be the next best thing?

Edit: well I may have answered my own question. It appears the earlier 606s came with mechanical stuff, the question now is would adapting one to the later (stronger) turbod version be feasable or would it be better to just start with an early one and turbo it?

Last edited by Websterbar; 07-30-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Gotcha, I did finally find an in depth of what exactly was weaker in the non turbo versions and I see now why they arent as desirable. And when you say "limited power" Im assuming you mean without a rebuild. The local diesel truck guys use bigger elements and such to achive more fuel on some engines, Im guessing thats achievable with a merc.

Also, since I seem to be speaking with a true guru of merc diesel performance, is there another more traveled place online to get info that I havnt stumbled upon? I did find superturbodiesel.com..

Again, thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 AM

Well I think that about does it for my curiosity. Im sold on the idea completely. And thanks so much for the wisdom I honestly dont know where else such knowledge could be found this easily.

-Webb