Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

Insidght / Assistance on Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Default Insidght / Assistance on Air Box

Morning Everyone,

I finally stumbled into the "Cali" trap oxidized car air filter box (looks like a gallon pale of paint). I want to use this in my W123. I looked forever (literally years) and finally got one. Not sure how rare they really are, e.g., just on West Coast ? So, back to the topic ...

My questions concern its general set up.

1. Can I switch or inverse the air flow. That is, can I "suck" or intake air from the bottom and "blow" or airflow to the intake manifold from the top? Looks like the box can be clocked so that the top is lined up pretty good with the W115 long runner or a modified NA intake.

2. I assume the box sits inside where the A/C dryer goes ? I assume I need to cut a hole in my inner fender or there some other route to take ?

3. I know there is a sticky out there, but I was wondering if anyone has more pictures or other useful info.

Thanks in advance !

Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM

May ...
One last question --

Is there a mouting bracket of some sorts that goes on the bottom ? If so, how tough is it to find / buy one ?

Thanks for the info / help. You saved me a bunch of time !

Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM

And, you are correct that the filters are more pricey ... however, I can get them for my costs for about $25.00. I got a ton of Autozone Reward Dollars and I get a "free" $5.00 coupon it seems once a month, so my out of pockets would be $25.00, but that is still more money than otherwise. I just like the look and the set-up.

So, any leads on the bottom bracket if there is one would be appreciated. I am suspecting that there is something that goes from the air box housing to the car itself, e.g., a bracket or some sort of spacer, et cet.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 PM

Thank you for the picture and information. I cannot find that stupid bracket and the PO cannot either, so this will take a back burner right now. At least I got a bunch of time to strip down and paint the air box I got. I will stumble into that bracket sooner or later. Again, thanks !