Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

om617 to jeep swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Default om617 to jeep swap

Hi all I picked up a 81 300sd for the engine. The car had trans problems an few miner other problem. Almost a shame what I did but oh well lol.

So while I have the engine out I was wondering if there was some preventive maintance stuff I could do to make this swap last longer while in the jeep.

I have read bout moving the oil filter housing gonna remote location. Is there any reason to keep the stock filter housing over say a aftermarket type remote dual canister type?

Any one have the pin out for the tach sensor on the front of the engine?

I'm looking to increase low end performance a little. After driving the 300 and having to wait for the turbo to spool before it gets going isn't good while on the trail and trying to crawl over obstacles. With the stock IP what rpm dose the sprinter gt build boost at? I prob use force inductions turbo controller for it.

I have more questions but can't think of them now

Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ya most of my wheeling is in the mountains. But with low range I shouldn't have a problem with keeping the rpms up. Its also a auto.

What turbo do I have stock? I'm guessing a k26?
Stock IP is the m-pump right?
Was the rated amps on the alt? What dose it need for a volt reg ?
Any one know the GPM on the stock PS pump? Looking to hyd assistance for steering.
Did mb ever put a York style ac compressor on the om617?

Thanks some more

Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM

OK I have the k26. Its seems to be in good condition, not much shaft play.
Why dose every one swap to the m pump?
Do you know of any way to fit a York to a turbo engine?
Was there any 100 amp alts or should I modify the brackets for a gm 1 wire?
Is there a noob guide?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM

The engine has just under 200k. How often dose the time chain need to be replaced? how do i adjust for strech? is there a metal oil pick up tube?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 AM

How do you measure the elongation on the chain? Where to find the keys and how do you determine how much you need?
What had the m pumps? And were to find bigger elements. How bout bigger injectors?
Good place to find the parts?
How to check the vac pump?
Any way to swap to a rear sump pan?
Worth then effort to swap to serp belt?

Thanks for answering my questions. I done lots of googling and not every thing I have read has been clear.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM

got the bolt pattern for the motor mount?
the front of the engine is covered in oil. which gaskets leak the most?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 AM

Hey thanks for all the answers saving me hours of reading.

What's the vac line going from the rear of the intake manifold for. And the sensor on top of the intake, is that the temp sensor for the glow plugs?
What type of coolant to use. Is the green stuff OK?
What is the official red line on these engines. I have read 4500 and 5100...
What's the weight. I have read 550 but no reference to wet or dry or wirh or without accessories
Is the drip method the only way to check IP timing?
Any other cool facts?

I can't help but wonder how close to the p7100 pump on the Cummins the IP on the om617 are.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 AM

Ahh so if I don't hook it up will it cause damage if I go over the 16 psi. I do plan on running a pyro and boost gauges.

You think a hx35 off a 5.9 cummins would be to big?

The engine is out of a 81 but who knows if it was replaced at one time. I know it had a junkyard trans in it when I got it. Where would the date be printed?

Fly wheel on these thing looks heavy. The one I'm putting on doesn't look half as heavy. I'm not sure I will be able to match balance the new one to the factory one. Would it be OK to have the new one neutral balanced?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 AM

I saw you had a attempt at twins. But for some reason the Picts sent showing up. How did it turn out? I was thinking of doing some thing similar but use a small turbo off a 1.5l engine and have a external waist gate to feed into the intermediate pipe and use the stock or similar as the big one.

I noticed on my engine that the area around were the oil filter housing meets the block. I am thinking I'm going to need to remote mount it for fire wall clearance. When I go to remove to at least replace the gasket do I got to worry bout anything popping out?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM

I was thinking compound the,m. I'm not looking for high boost or high airflow, still only want the 12-16psi. Just want ultra fast spool up. Kinda would like Ultra fast spool up of a smaller turbo. I dunno. Guess I need to get into the jeep before I make any determination on performance lol.

The idle was at somewere round 540rpm. Is that OK or should it be higher?

Quick Reply: om617 to jeep swap