Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

84 300 Turbo Diesel questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Default 84 300 Turbo Diesel questions

Just picked up this car and have a few questions, hopefully this is the correct place though they aren't about the engine itself.

Cars instrument lights are very dim and switch doesn't seem to do anything. All other console lights are out as is the overhead (front) light. The mirror lights and rear light do work.

Feel a "clunk" when lifting/pushing on the throttle at low speeds, almost like there is play in the rear or driveshaft. I was told a tranny mount was recently replaced.

Push the high beam stalk and the headlights go out..

I ordered the factory manual from MB but figured these may be common(?) issues and I could get started before the manuals arrive. If another forum is more appropriate please feel free to point me there.

Thanks!

Last edited by GaryR; 11-24-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks ForcedInduction!

All great advice, i'll dive in soon. One other thing I noticed but maybe it's just the way the car is (I hope). At higher speeds (70+ MPH) the engine seems to be screaming. I think (though the gauges were so dim i'm not positive) it was close to 4000 RPM. Is that normal or am I missing high gear? And what does the "S" stand for (below "D")..

I ordered the Owners Manual from MB also. Will help answer some of my more mundane questions.

Thanks again!
Gary

Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM

Take a good hard look at anything made of rubber on the Car.

The Engine Oil Cooler Hoses, the Motor Mounts (if the Drivers Side Mount is squashed the Power Steering Belt sometimes cuts into the Oil Cooler Hose)
The Transmission Cooler Hoses (under the Radiator)
The CV Axle Boots

The upper and lower Control Arms also pivot on Rubber they are not so visible to inspection.
In the attached pic is a fuse my car that looked good while it was installed but you can see what I found when I pulled the Fuse.

Get rid any Fuses with Plastic Bodies as they can melt sooner than the metal strip if they get hot.
While I have kept my mostly white metal Fuses; Fuses with Copper or Brass metal are subject to less corrosion/oxidation.

Attached Thumbnails 84 300 Turbo Diesel questions-fuse-burn.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM

Manual arrived today so I took a look at the fusebox for a start. Some new fuses in the spots for cigar lighter and interior lights so it looks like someone already tried the fuses to rectify the issues. All fuses are good and were taken out, cleaned, and replaced. Same problems but at least i'm not blowing fuses!
No high beams or indicator on dash - and lows go off when HB are selected (are all 4 lights supposed to light on HB? Still no owners manual so I don't know if the center yellow lights are just driving or what? They never light up either way, just the outside)
Switches all dark
Cigar lighter dead
Front overhead light out (have to check bulb yet)

I also noticed the vac line to the EGR valve was missing, will replace that as soon as I know the EGR is functional, else will order a new one also. As soon as I can get her into a warm garage i'll start checking for power at the fuses and go from there. From the manual (Haynes) it looks pretty easy to pop the instrument cluster out but i'd rather not unless I have to..

Last edited by GaryR; 11-29-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM

If you have the Factory CD Manual set there is a generic 123 owners manual on the CD.

On mine to turn the inner Head Lights on you rotate Head Light Switch Clockwise as far as it will go and pull the Switch **** out a little and all 4 Headlights will be lit.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112
If you have the Factory CD Manual set there is a generic 123 owners manual on the CD.

On mine to turn the inner Head Lights on you rotate Head Light Switch Clockwise as far as it will go and pull the Switch **** out a little and all 4 Headlights will be lit.
Thanks, Factory (CD) Manual is on the way and I got the little owners manual for the glovebox too..never have too many manuals!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112

That works, amazing!

Have my Factory CD manual, looking at the electrical now. Close examination of the fuse box show it to look brand new with no corrosion at all! The fuses themselves I cleaned up with a Dremel wire brush. I get no power to the three fuses i'm concerned with, High Beam L, High Beam R, and Cig. Lighter. Cursory look at the diagram and it seems like the Combination switch could be the culprit but i'll test more tomorrow. Where would be a good place to buy one should that be the issue?

Thanks!
Gary

Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 AM

Follow up- The headlight problem was the dimmer switch and the "clunk" was the center diff carrier bearing! Only issue now is the center console lights and i'm leaning toward the instrument panel dimmer as my 1st guess. Can you turn the console lights off with it or are they always on when the headlights are on?