Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Stolen now Recovered 240D

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Default Stolen now Recovered 240D

So I got to drive my new to me 1980 240D for 16 days before some dick stole it.

It's been recovered by police 240 miles from my home.

No one there has any idea if it will run because they obviously don't have the key and won't even try to start it.

My question is this: What cn I expect to find as far as how he started the car? Is there any possibility that I'll be able to start it with my key when I get to it or is it going to be all jacked up and I'll need to know some stupid trick to get it started?

Any help would be appreciated. It will cost me $500 to get it hauled home.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Become a Member of an Auto Club that has a Membership with enough Miles to tow the Car.

If you Lock Tumbler is not damaged and it is the Original Tumbler the Mercedes Dealer can cut you another using your VIN Number. The catch here is that the want your registration and some say they want the Car present to check the Vin.
Perhaps having a Police Report would soften them up but call them first.

Worst thought; Some Cities charge for storing a Car in the Impound Yard regardless if it is stolen or not. You should find out if they intend to do that or not. If they do charge you it might not be worth the Charge to get your Car out.

A friend of mine was in a Car Accident on the Freeway. By the time She got out of the Hospital the Towing and storage Charge for here Car was over $2,500 and climbing with each day. j
I this case Her Car was damaged in the Accident so I recommended to here to let the Tow Company have the Car.

Without the Key you would need to grind off or drill out the Steering Wheel Colum Lock and remove it from the Steering Colum (this is one way of doing it).
After that you can use a Jumper Wire to get the Starter Cranking and the Engine Started However, the Alternator will not be charging your Battery after that.

On some Ignition Switches you can avoid jumping the Starter by removing the Ignition Switch Housing. If you keep the Ignition Switch Housing and the Connector together you can use a Screwdriver to turn the Ignition Switch and the Car should start and function normally.

I some because on My Year and Model the Ignition Switch is sort of locked in depending on the Lock Tumble Position and you cannot even remove the Electrical Connector from the Ignition Switch without the Tumble being in a specific Position.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 07-10-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Thats what they want you to do. What you need to do is sue the tow company for predatory business practices.
The cost of the Car was not worth spending any time in Court for.

The Car was a 20+ year old Chevy Chevette.
Even if She had the Car towed Home right after the Accident She could not have fixed it Herself and to have someone fix it would have cost more than getting a different Car.

So the Tow Company got to keep what ever they could sell the Car to a Junk Yard for. That will have to be enough Justice.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
So its totally okay with you for them to literally steal your car?
Wrecked junker or not, thats just enabling them to steal from other people after you.
Like if you drop your wallet and somebody picks it up and tells you they want to keep all the money before giving it back, or they will keep the entire wallet.
That is your interpretation of the State Laws that allow them to do that.

The City does the same when they Tow a Car. Everyday the Car is in their Lot the more they Charge.