Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

My 300SD is running HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Default My 300SD is running HOT HOT HOT!!!!

this morning my 84 300SDdecided torun hot and its about 29F outside!!!,i dont knowyou causing mybenz to run HOT.

Things that changed/replaced on my cooling system:
1. radiator fluid
2. thermostat

thx

Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Default RE: My 300SD is running HOT HOT HOT!!!!

bump...anyone???

Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Is it during idle/moderate speedsor highway speeds?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM

it reach's around 100C and it stays there whendriving and it goes up a click when idling, i already replaced some stuff in my cooling system, but i amalsow thinking there is something to do with the oil cooler, what do u think

Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
sfk

Check/replace the radiator hoses. I have heard of them collapsing when the carruns fast. The fluid creats a suction and the hose collapses, causing no flow.

However, my 300SD has also been running hot. I have tried replacing the thermostat several times. As dieselgiant.com recommends (he shows in detail how to drill 5 holes in the side of the thermostat which allows greater flow), but my car also runs up to 100 degree C also frequently.

My last guess is that the radiator is just getting plugged up.

Please let me know, if and when you ever find out what the problem is.

Note: On plenty of days, I have had to put the car inside heat on (during hot days in the summer, that stinks).

Ohhh, one last thought, if it is cool while idling, it could be the car FAN. It works on a centrifuge type fluid that when it heats up, the fan is suppose to spin harder. The way to test is when the car is running hot, shut it off, then try spinning the fan, it should be harder to spin then when it is cool.

Scott

Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM

Note: On plenty of days, I have had to put the car inside heat on (during hot days in the summer, that stinks).
your not the only one suffering... Iforgot to mention that on summer days i take the thermostat out and it still shoots up to 100C+it could be the hoses (assfk said) and the water pump....[&:]

Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 PM

Replace radiator cap. If weak it will allow an engine to run warmer. 100 c is not hot its a little warmer than ideal. Remove the fan assembly and shroud and spray water from the backside of the radiator to flush out debris stuck between the fins. Make the aux electric fan turns on just past 100 c. report back.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 AM

what about the rack damper bolt,well one of my friend (a certified mercedes tech) told me that the rack damper pin is set to the max as possible, could this increase my enginetemp and also relize that i am not getting 27 mpg is more like 16 or worst...

thx

Old 01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to just replace the entire radiator or flush it out. Then check your auxillary electric fan in front of the radiator to see if it turns on when the car is hot at idle and the fan clutch infront of the engine if your carhas one.

I had a similar problem last year until the car suffered engine failure from overheating. After I got the new engine, a new radiator, thermostat, fluids, fan clutch, fan clutch sensorand engine temp sensor adjustment everything ran fine and still does. It runs on average 85-90~ degrees. Good luck

Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM

any possibility that the water pump could have internal damage that would prevent it from circulating the coolant properly?

Quick Reply: My 300SD is running HOT HOT HOT!!!!