Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Looking for parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Default Looking for parts

I have a 1987 300D that is in need of a u-joint on the drive line. I can't find one without going to the dealer. If possible, I would like to go without that expense. Since it is my daily driver, I would like to find one before I take it apart. I saw that it is staked in the drive line, does that mean that I need to replace the whole driveline? I can take it apart and get measurements, but will I be able to find a replacement that will fit? If I take it out I sure don't want to put it back in worn out condition. It isn't serious yet, but it will be before long. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 AM

The thump when shifting was my first clue. When I changed the flex plates, I felt a little slack in the joint itself, and with the new flex plates, the thump didn't go away. The only place I could feel any slack was the u-joint. C.v. joints, differential, transmission, drive line splines (slip joint), center support bearing and mounting bracket, everything felt good, no slack. To me it points directly at the u-joint. Am I wrong?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Can I replace just the half with the u-joint, or will I have to get the whole driveline?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Default driveline u-joint

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I have a similar issue. As part of a flex disc/support bearing replacement job, I took the back half of my driveline on my 1987 190D to my local shop to have them press on a new support bearing.

The mechanic immediately told me that my u-joint is bad and I need to find a new/used driveline. The u-joint tends to "stick" in the center before moving a few degrees one way, or the other. Does this mean that it is bad? If yes, where the heck am I going to find one (whole driveline)? Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Thanks. There is no play in the joint, but since I'm a newb I want to make certain that we are talking about the same thing.
You are saying that it is ok if it feels like the joint is rolling over a cam (notched feeling) when bending the u-joint along either axis away from center. Correct?