Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Knock in upper engine 1982 300D

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by daemdaem
Hello, As I understand the conversation, Your pan is off, but your head is not. To my amazement you have found loose ball bearings in the pan. MM, I happen to have the mate to your engine literally hanging in my shop with gravel inside the broken oil pan. No loose ball bearings, just gravel. I have not pulled it apart yet but you have my attention. I speculate that you may have a roller chain tensioner in yours. The word is speculate. Anyone that has done a complete rebuild know?
How was your oil pressure? Engine Knocks can be tough to find. I would bet you have a loose wrist pin issue. However I have rebuilt a lot of engines and one thing that has saved lots of grief is , checking your bearings and clearances now the pan is off.
Plastiguage is cheap, easy to use and will eliminate a combined knock that is both wrist pin and con rod related.
I ended up yanking the engine out and doing a rebuild. It got all new rings and bearings; one new piston because it had pinched rings which caused piston slap and which probably made the wrist pin loose.

My theory was that the previous owner had a vacuum pump failure which is where the ball bearings are and the ***** ruined the #1 piston.

I have lots of pics of it on peachparts.com, just look for my screen name there... 8 years later the car runs great (I did have a transmission pump failure that I recently fixed -- had to take engine+tranny out again