Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Diesel Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2007, 02:18 AM

Default How much labor to install head gasket on 190D?

I've been looking at a 1987 190D that has a leak at the head gasket. How much labor involved to replace the head gasket? The owner has been quoted a price of $750 labor from his Mercedes mechanic, plus the cost of the head gasket. I am a farmer/rancher by trade, and have a farm shop full of tools. I overhauled an engine in high school many moons ago in automechanics(lol). Could I possibly do the job myself, and save the $750 his mechanic wants for labor? I'm located in Kansas.
thanks,
coadman
Also, if I remember correctly from doing searches on this site, this 1987 has an aluminum head, yes? If so, these are prone to cracking due to heating and not cooling off before shutdown?
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: How much labor to install head gasket on 190D?

If you have never done it before, best bet is to pay the $750 and get it done quickly and professionally.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mbz300sdl

If you are not a diesel mechainic i agree with forced
Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Is it the 2.5L turbo diesel? If so, swipe that car and get it professionally done...by someone you can trust.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

Is it the 2.5L turbo diesel? If so, swipe that car and get it professionally done...by someone you can trust.
Yes, it is the 2.5L turbo, with an automatic transmission, and 290K miles on it. He has had the car for 4 years and has receipts for all work done. Had the tranny rebuilt about a year ago, but he hasnt got it "tuned" correctly(according to him) as it acts a little doggy under 20mph. I can probably get it bought for around $2000.
thanks,
coadman
Old 02-20-2007, 04:00 PM

Before you buy, take it to a trusted pro who knows MB diesels.... It may not merely be a simple head gasket... That engine may have been overheated. If so, you could be dealing with a cracked aluminum head... big bucks!
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenha
Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: coadman

I've been looking at a 1987 190D that has a leak at the head gasket. How much labor involved to replace the head gasket? The owner has been quoted a price of $750 labor from his Mercedes mechanic, plus the cost of the head gasket. I am a farmer/rancher by trade, and have a farm shop full of tools. I overhauled an engine in high school many moons ago in automechanics(lol). Could I possibly do the job myself, and save the $750 his mechanic wants for labor? I'm located in Kansas.
thanks,
coadman
Also, if I remember correctly from doing searches on this site, this 1987 has an aluminum head, yes? If so, these are prone to cracking due to heating and not cooling off before shutdown?
IMHO most farmers could easily replace any head gasket. However, I'd still be very cautious.Still, there is a dye on the market that claims it will tell you if the engine has a combustion leak. http://www.rxauto.com/blocktest.htm It'll cost you about $50.00 plus shipping, but if the owner will give you permission to test it... it will be more than worth that amount.... and if it has a combustion leak... then, IMHO, even if you are a great do it yourselfer.... I'd walk away from that potential money pit...
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenha
Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Tags
190, 1986, 1991, benz, cost, diesel, gasket, gastet, head, install, labor, lexus, ls400, mecedes, mercedes, replace