Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

grinding noise after brake job.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Default grinding noise after brake job.

so after a little frustration with my passenger rear caliper seizing i gave the brakes a tune up. I purchases a new(refurb) caliper for the rear passenger side. replaced the rear rotors, installed all new pads and had the front rotors recut. I then flushed the whole brake system with new dot4 fluid which i heard is better. if not let me know. the brakes work totally fine except now when i take left hand turns there is a noise coming from the back passenger side that sounds like a rock getting held against a rotor or the hub. i have taken everything off multiple times and checked that nothing is rubbing under the car. Its only on left turns. any hints would be great cause this is making me loose my mind.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

It could be the rear Wheel Bearing going bad.

Do what is necessary to safely remove the Wheel and remove the Caliper and hang it near by. Remove the Rotor.
Set up a Dial Indicator and check the in and out play of the Hub. This is the safe way.

Not so safe way is to Jack the Car up so that both rear wheels are off of the Ground. Start the Car and put it in Drive and listen to the non-moving part of the Rear Wheel Bearing area and see if you can hear where the sound is coming from with a Mechanics Stethoscope.
Or, as I use a piece of Wooden Broomstick with one end on the part I want to listen to and my Ear on the other end.

You do the above at your own risk.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 PM

ya i was hoping it wasnt the bearings. that is the only reasonable thing i can think of. i don't know why they decided to **** the bed right after i do all that work. from what i've seen the rear bearing job is not a fun one. i think i'll try the ferris bueller method to check it with a friend in the driver seat.

if anyone has a good link to a step by step on rear bearing change that would be great

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM

More likely to be grinding caused by shifting load of the turn. But what is grinding is likely to be the emergency brake shoes.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 AM

ya i thought that too, so i redialed the e-brake so it doesn't even catch when its engaged. it still makes the noise but not so much as when it started. im just taking it real easy on the left turn until i want to do that bearing job.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM

It's likely not the bearing if it only does it on a left turn. A bearing that squeaks going left should also do it going right due to the dynamic nature of the parts involved. Only a brake has the possibility of having different parts loaded from different directions. And from your account, it doesn't seem like it made the noise before you worked on it. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that something is amiss with the brake itself.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM

I would listen to the area as I described.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 01-12-2010 at 12:16 AM.