Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Glow Plugs Question,and fuel line hose on 240D

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Default Glow Plugs Question,and fuel line hose on 240D

Its been a while since I've been on here,in fact a couple of years since I even messed with my 240D. I have a 1980 240D, standard transmission. Started it up a few days ago, started easily after I jumped the battery. One thing I noticed is the glow plug lights stay on. I am thinking I replaced the glow plugs several years ago, but cant remember if it was on this one, or another I had at the same time. Anyway, no problem starting, just lights wont go out.
I did part of the test for glow plugs on the Diesel Giant site. Ohmed all the glow plus, they all checked out fine. Had 12 volts+ at each of the pins on the glow plug relay. Noticed that I continued to have 12 volts+ for as long as i held the probe in place, never did lose voltage. But, as soon as I started the motor, I lost voltage on each pin. This leads me to believe the glow plugs are indeed shutting off, but why wont they shut off prior to starting motor(or is that normal?)
The only way I can get the light to go off, is by unpluging the relay wire plug that goes to switch. I can run with the light on, doesnt bother me, as long as I know the glow plugs are still not hot(although I would like to know why it is working the way it is)
On to my fuel lines going to injectors. I know I replaced them in the past, but noticed a couple of them leaking. They are long enough to snip the ends off and re-attach, but I can remember they were a pain in the keester to get on,so they dont leak. Any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Jim

Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Ok, thanks, nothing to worry about then? After I verified the glow plugs were off after the motor was started, I figured as much. Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Where is the timer relay located?