Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Diesel Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Question CDI vs. Bluetec... tell me what to look out for

Hey guys, I currently own a 2002 Jetta TDI and I told myself my next vehicle would be another Diesel and I really want to get a Mercedes. Looking at a Mercedes between 2005-2007. Can you guys tell me what to look out for, common problems, differences between the CDIs and Bluetecs as far as being prown to problems or not. Anything you guys could tell me about them would be great! Oh and tell me what kinda mileage you're actually getting with your own Diesel Benz.
Thanks guys!
-Fred-
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Avoid anything that says BlueTec. They contain an exhaust filter that will cost $4500 to replace every 80k-150k miles, it also drastically reduces fuel economy and engine lifespan.
Also avoid the V6 badged as a CDI in the R, ML and GL models. The V6 is a very poor design made to fit a budget and multiple vehicle models, rather than longevity and efficiency as Mercedes has in the past. The current 2.0L TDI from VW is worse, having a complex EGR system in addition to the exhaust filter that is harsh on the engine.

The newest model you should consider is the 05-06 E320 CDI with its inline-6. It is the last well-designed engine by Mercedes.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 10-03-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 AM

so the new 2012 s350 is a dont buy ? love the new s class style, love the idea of diesel..
'09 gmc sierra 4x4 slt cc dmax 8ft box
'10 mazda 6i, auto 4cyl daughters ride
'11 ford e350 super cargo van... v10 gasser
Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaschold View Post
so the new 2012 s350 is a dont buy ?
Most definitely. The newest S-class diesel that should be considered is the 1987 300SDL. 1991-1995 350SDL, 300SD and S350 models had a defective engine design.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Most definitely. The newest S-class diesel that should be considered is the 1987 300SDL. 1991-1995 350SDL, 300SD and S350 models had a defective engine design.
i know about the problems with the 603 motor.............have one.........

but whats wrong with the new v6 diesel ?
'09 gmc sierra 4x4 slt cc dmax 8ft box
'10 mazda 6i, auto 4cyl daughters ride
'11 ford e350 super cargo van... v10 gasser
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 PM

If you want good fuel economy, keep the Jetta and leave the Merc as a pipe dream. Driving the merc will be like hanging a caravan on the back of the jetta and then putting 20 concrete slabs in the boot too. Modern VW golf, even with its Diesel particulate filter actually achieves 55mpg (or 46 miles per US gallon). Mercedes and economy are at opposite ends of the scale. Dont chop the jetta for a merc. You will be on this forum in 4 weeks full of reget. Gary (UK) C220 diesel estate, crap fuel economy.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaschold View Post
but whats wrong with the new v6 diesel ?
Its not rebuildable or easily repairable. Minor damage to any internal components requires entire engine replacement, internal components are not sold by Mercedes and the engine is not rebuildable. Any damage to the valve covers requires replacing the entire cylinder head.

Its designed around meeting world emissions standards, being low cost and fitting in multiple vehicle models. Longevity, power and fuel economy were not primary concerns when the engine was designed during the Chrysler era.

It requires balance shafts to reduce vibration.

The exhaust filter WILL need to be replaced at some point in the vehicle's life, costing over $4000.

Mercedes is currently 10 years behind in engine technology compared to BMW and VW.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Tags
add, benz, blue, bluetec, blutec, cdi, diesel, exhaust, filter, mercdes, mercedes, replacement, reviews, tec, versus, vs