You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!
We purchased this 84 300sd turbo diesel a few months ago, our first MB, and love it, but then things started going wrong with it...
1. Wipers stopped... probably wiper motor, but rainex works great for now.
2. Driver and rear passenger windows won't go down.
3. Heater won't turn off, it's blowing HOT air (unbearable since driver window won't go down!)
4. Accelerator is sticking. At first it wouldn't accelerate, and today it stuck while accelerating!
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
1984 MB 300 SD Turbo
Window issue is either a cracked fuse or corroded fuse. Remove fuse box cover determine from the printed guide which fuse. Regardless of how it looks, replace it! One fuse provides power to l/front and r/rear, another for r/front and l/rear. Wipers probably fuse as well. Throttle can get stuck under improper floor mats or the rods need removed going from the firewall to the throttle and the ball sockets lubed. Just pop off each rod end one at a time and use something like wheel bearing grease on the ball. No need to completely remove the rod, just one end at a time. Less chance of adjustment being messed up!
1981 300CD. had a 72 280SEL 4.5, had a 66 250S
1. If the driver and rear window stopped working at the same time, then I tend to agree, it might be the fuses.
2. If the pedal is getting stuck, then lube up the ball sockets. If you're not handy, get someone to lube them who knows Mercedes cars (especially diesel; there is nothing worse than a mechanic working on a diesel who doesn't know diesels).
Everything carnut said is correct. I had an 84 300SD, they are VERY RELIABLE cars.
Also, how many miles on the car, have you done a valve adjustment ever?
Let us know how it goes!
1999 S420, 47,000 miles, All Stock, Black on Black
1987 300SDL, 90,000 miles, Black, with Grey Leather All Stock
1984 300SD, 94,000 miles, Very Close to Mint Condition
For the heater problem consider the monovalve. A failed diaphragm will prevent it from stopping hot water flow. Also and just as likely is the temperature thumb wheel on the A/C controller. If this fails it signals the valve to send hot water into the cabin and you have heat. It is intresting that with a failed wheel, both the a/c and the heater can be running at the same time.