Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

84 300d cranking issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Default 84 300d cranking issues

New to forum. Ok before I getting started I want to say this forum is very informing on gathering information. But when it comes to my problem I have read lots and lots of information but no two problems are exactly the same so it always takes a left turn right when I think I'm bout to get the information I need.
Recently bout a MB-D two weeks ago. The guy I brought it from use to use starter fluid in the car just to get a good cold start. This is my first diesel owned and operation by me. But I'm not unfamiliar with a a tool box or an engine inside and out. So once I get the car home I shut it off and let it sit to the next morning. First thing I do change the glow plugs and change fuses. Fires up on third attempt. No starter fluid. So Next I change the oil. Fires up and runs as normal. Next I change the fuel filters Primary and Secondary. I bleed the lines and it fires up as normal. Ok now here comes the problem. On Saturday the car crank up as normal. On Sunday I couldn't get the car to crank. Drained battery trying. Got a 24v Ford to come put it on the cables. Starter is turning over extremely fine. At different times the engine cranks and shuts off. Wants to crank but just doesn't. I think she's jumped timing.?
Sn. Is the primary filter suppose to fill up when I'm trying to crank or does it fill up after it's running?

Last edited by olderTHEbetter; 11-30-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Making title more informative
Old 12-05-2016, 05:10 PM

The battery is a semi new battery. Didn't have problems with cranking using the battery before. Just all of a sudden out of no where. Where I'm located its been raining for the past three days so haven't had the time to diagnose any further. But we should be having fair whether tomorrow. And I'm jumping on it at the break of dawn. I'm going to check the glow plug relay and check the voltage drop in the battery as you insisted. I talked to a diesel mechanic at a local Sports and Imports shop. He said after I check those two. If I don't get it running the next thing I should do is adjust the valves.
Sn. How many cold cranking amps should the battery have?

Old 12-10-2016, 04:40 PM

Ok ok. Just checked out all electrical and dropped a new battery in her 900 CCA. Still no crank.
I highly doubt if the previous owner had the vavles adjusted at all. And the only reason I'm leaning towards the valves is because when I first purchased her she was having starting issues. Then I changed the glow plugs and it wasn't as hard to crank. But still was rough.
Is there anything else I can try before I get the valves did?